Can someone clue me in to using a cooler after a cook?

Steves55

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm going to assume this is done to rest the meat. I usually wrap mine in foil & then towels & sit in sink for 30-60 minutes.
Can someone give me the low down on this?
Just use a regular plastic cooler?
Dry towels or hot damp ones?
Wrap in foil or towels or both?
How long & why?
What cuts of meat?
Could you do ribs if they are done well before the rest of dinner is?
Do you do anything else to the meat before it goes in the cooler?
Tell me your process please.

Let me take a shot at it from my perspective. First, the “cooler” can be any insulated container that the product will fit in conveniently. The purpose is simply to maintain temperature. Anything that can retain cold can also retain heat. One of the most popular is a hard, plastic cooler and they work fine. Personally, I use a large, insulated bag similar to this one, but a different brand that I can no longer find.

https://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Ascot...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I like to rest my cooked meat product for periods up to 4 hours, depending on what it is (i.e. brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc.). The insulated container retains the product temperature at a safe level (I like to keep cooked meat above 140F when possible). A secondary purpose for the insulated container is to stretch out your time frame if a cook finishes early. Oh, yeah, that DOES happen once-in-a-while, believe me. Instead of fretting about the cook finishing well before serving time, just put the product in the insulated container to maintain It at a safe, palatable temperature in the interim.

I use some foil pans that fit in the cooler for most cooks, and cover/wrap them in foil and then a large, old (and, dry) beach towel for extra insulation. Placed in the cooler bag, that combination has held a safe temperature for up to 5 hours for me.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back