Cambro or Cooler

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I have a large Cambro cooler I use when I do big parties or catering. It has multiple shelves. I've never used it with my smoked meats. Probably because it's so big and a cooler works great.

Since smoking meats, I have always used a cooler and large towels to hold my meats. I'm having a Texas Style BBQ this weekend and will have lots of meats and sides. The Cambro would hold all of it. It tends to keep temp 145-165 for up to 4 hours. But I've never used it with brisket, links and burnt ends.

For those that have experience using a Cambro with your smoked meats, would you suggest using it or just staying with the cooler method and keep the sides on warm in the oven inside?

Thanks so much!
Beth

1630605095246.png

Chudds BBQ on you tube channel just did a brisket and rested it in his Yeti for like 10 hours or so and was quite impressed with it.

Chudds BBQ on you tube channel just did a brisket and rested it in his Yeti for like 10 hours or so and was quite impressed with it.
I've done several briskets and kept them in my VERY cheap coleman cooler with towels inside top and bottom for up to 4 hours. Each time the briskets have maintained temps in the 180-195 range.

I think the coolers and towels or blankets (faux cambros) really work perfectly well. That's what I do. But being I have a lot of food here I'm thinking I should probably utilize the Cambro that I have. I just never used it for smoking before. But I can't see why it wouldn't work. They're mainly used to transport food and keep it warm from one location to another. But I know it's used in competition barbecue.

@Mike I love it. You can get everything done in advance and put it in there and just pull it out hot and ready to serve. It also works as a cold holding box as well. It works both ways. I've just never done it to hold over brisket and burnt ends. I guess no time like the present!

@Mike I love it. You can get everything done in advance and put it in there and just pull it out hot and ready to serve. It also works as a cold holding box as well. It works both ways. I've just never done it to hold over brisket and burnt ends. I guess no time like the present!
Do you have on line order for your burnt ends!! LOL

You convinced me. Just bought one on Amazon. I bought the smallest one ($45) to see if I'll like it (they only had 1 in stock). I think it'll fit a brisket.

To OP....yours should work fine. They claim it will hold hot food with 10 degrees of starting temp.

I think the coolers and towels or blankets (faux cambros) really work perfectly well. That's what I do. But being I have a lot of food here I'm thinking I should probably utilize the Cambro that I have. I just never used it for smoking before. But I can't see why it wouldn't work. They're mainly used to transport food and keep it warm from one location to another. But I know it's used in competition barbecue.
The tough part about a lot of bbq in (a) cooler(s) is floor space and stacking. Even in a big yeti 75, I'm only getting a couple pans before I have to stack, and since its just a foil lid, things get unstable; I can't get to the bottom pans without unloading the whole thing, etc.
Space and access would be the drivers for me.

The tough part about a lot of bbq in (a) cooler(s) is floor space and stacking. Even in a big yeti 75, I'm only getting a couple pans before I have to stack, and since its just a foil lid, things get unstable; I can't get to the bottom pans without unloading the whole thing, etc.
Space and access would be the drivers for me.
The pans that go into the cambro slide in. I have about 7 or 8 slots where I can slide in a deep pan. And nothing touches anything so you don't have to worry about stacking. But they are somewhat expensive and big. We store ours in the garage and it's on rollers. I think back in the day when I bought mine it was $400 to $500. But I used it for my business. I don't cater anymore but we do use it when we have parties in the backyard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back