Bullseye Bullseye

Pete 396

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hello everyone, new member here. I think I going to go to Recteq next week and pick up a Bullseye. I haven't seen anything about it here. I would love some thoughts on this grill/smoker before I make the trip.

Depends on your purpose.. there is a lot of info here do search. I don't have a Bullseye but many say it is best for hotter cooks. If you are looking for smoking type stick with bigger models from what I see. The Bull I can say is amazing for both low & slow and can reach 500+ in warmer weather. I have seen some report the Bullseye has varied temp swings at the lower cooks.

@Pete 396 there are tons of discussions here on the Bullseye-it even has its own sub-forum. The answer to that question depends a lot on what your needs are. The Bullseye is a hot and fast grill that can do a good job on shorter smoker cooks like chickens, ribs, etc. The other recteq pellet grills are mid to low and slow smokers first, but do a good job at most hot and fast grill cooks also.

I love my Bullseye… I hate my Bullseye… There are days I want to hug it, and other days I want to throw it off the side of the deck. At least that’s the way I felt about my first (June 2020) Bullseye. In December recteq offered to replace it due to the problems I kept having, one after another. I’m a lot happier with the second one, as I believe they have made tweaks to the controller that make it a much better grill.

Having said that, and not knowing what you are grilling/smoking on now, I wouldn’t recommend the Bullseye as your first recteq. The other model recteqs, with the WiFi PID controller, are built much better.

Thanks sdynak and Greg, I should have searched the forum. I'm looking for more grill than a smoker. Not interested in low slow cooks at all. Most would be chicken or a pork lion. If I cook a butt it will be a three to four hour cook. More often than not chicken, burgers and chops.

For hot and fast it works well, but even at the high end it can be inconsistent on temps. I've had it steady at near 500F only for it to drop to under 300F before climbing back up.

My issues may be controller related, but am waiting for at least 30F temps before calling support.

I purchased it for low and slow and ended up returning it due to its inaccurate temperature.

Also note, Recteq.com does not allow any reviews lower than 4* on their website, so I suggest not using their site as a reference for reviews.

I purchased it for low and slow and ended up returning it due to its inaccurate temperature.

Also note, Recteq.com does not allow any reviews lower than 4* on their website, so I suggest not using their site as a reference for reviews.
I noticed all their reviews were five stars and not many reviews, so I take that with a grain of salt. If you look at all the forums they are very highly rated with very good costumer satisfaction. If you purchased the B380 for low and slow you got the wrong grill. Did you do any research before your purchase?

I did. I always do quite a lot.

I even saw a youtube video from a bullseye buyer on their temp issue.

But that was all I found. And that user noted how great his support was and that they were working with him on a solution.

"Wrong grill for low and slow"

Uhm, ok. Interesting then that recteq advertises it as such.

My hope was it would perform as advertised and as reviewed. But it does not.

And though recteq gave me a hastle free return, their support was anything but helpful or courteous.

From their first response to my inquiry on my temp issue (150d hotter than setpoint), they basically said I was wrong and the grill was performing as expected.

I followed up with clarifications on how I took my measurements. Again, "you're wrong, our grill is right."

Then after my final email with photos of my thermometer locations, hour long log data and thermometer brands, "it doesn't matter how much you test! You're wrong, grill is right!"

I have the emails if you're interested.

I would love to get the 590. But after my experience, I will not purchase recteq.

It's a shame too because I now feel the 590 is the exact grill I'm looking for, though more expensive than I planned.

Last edited:
Also I take a bit of offense to your implication that I'm in the wrong for trusting their reviews instead of scouring unaffiliated forums.

Recteq is in the wrong for deceitful business practices, plain and simple.

Take a moment to compare to other sites:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/wood-pellet-grills/smokefire-series/22510201.html

https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/pro/575

https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet-grills-and-accessories/woodwind-wifi-24.html

I admit because I discovered the brand through very high praise from a couple coworkers, I was likely biased in my research for this product. But, that doesn't excuse recteq. It's basically fraud.

I did. I always do quite a lot.

I even saw a youtube video from a bullseye buyer on their temp issue.

But that was all I found. And that user noted how great his support was and that they were working with him on a solution.

"Wrong grill for low and slow"

Uhm, ok. Interesting then that recteq advertises it as such.

My hope was it would perform as advertised and as reviewed. But it does not.

And though recteq gave me a hastle free return, their support was anything but helpful or courteous.

From their first response to my inquiry on my temp issue (150d hotter than setpoint), they basically said I was wrong and the grill was performing as expected.

I followed up with clarifications on how I took my measurements. Again, "you're wrong, our grill is right."

Then after my final email with photos of my thermometer locations, hour long log data and thermometer brands, "it doesn't matter how much you test! You're wrong, grill is right!"

I have the emails if you're interested.

I would love to get the 590. But after my experience, I will not purchase recteq.

It's a shame too because I now feel the 590 is the exact grill I'm looking for, though more expensive than I planned.
Hopefully you got the grill returned.

The only RT I have is the Bullseye.

Disclaimer, I currently have a temp issue and will be calling RT today about a replacement controller. BUT....that being said, I absolutely would recommend the Bullseye. Hands down. This thing is a ton of fun.

I've done a lot of low and slow cooks on it, ribs, brisket, and so on. I've been amazed at the results every time. I also do a lot of hot cooks, our go-to is reverse searing steaks. Yes, the other grills can sear with the grill plates, but there's something awesome about a grill being able to get up to 750 degrees in your back yard. I get those nice grill marks every time without grill plates. I've reverse seared thick steaks at least a dozen times since I got this grill last June(actually arrived in July).

Admittedly this is my only experience with a pellet grill but the results have been so worth it. This thing makes me look like a pro. People ask to come back to our house for dinners because of this grill....specifically for dinner, not just to hang out. Our home has become party central for family gatherings because of this grill, lol. From those low and slow cooks to just tossing some burgers on, it does an awesome job every time. Not happy about the temp issue I just had the other night, but from what everyone is telling me a call to RT and about 15 minutes will fix the issue. To me it was money very well spent and if I had to do it again I would in a half a heartbeat.

I bought my BullsEye to replace a Weber Charcoal Kettle grill. I was getting tired of dealing with the charcoal.

For the cooking I do (Ribs, Chicken, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Leg of Lamb) it does the job. Pellets are much easier to deal with, temp control is much better, and clean up is easier.

For me it does what I expected when I bought it.

I bought my BullsEye to replace a Weber Charcoal Kettle grill. I was getting tired of dealing with the charcoal.

For the cooking I do (Ribs, Chicken, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Leg of Lamb) it does the job. Pellets are much easier to deal with, temp control is much better, and clean up is easier.

For me it does what I expected when I bought it.
That was my thought as well. Remember grates and stuff can be swapped with the Bullseye and Weber.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back