Bullseye Bullseye or gas grill to complement RT-700?

The first thought I have--and it's just a thought and possibly doesn't have validity--is the potential advantage of having a second cooker that doesn't rely on electronics (be it hardware or software).

My second thought is that sometimes my wife does quick cooks outdoors and she would not know how to use a pellet device, nor would she want to learn how.
For me starting the Bullseye is easier than the Weber. But you have a good point about a plain non gadget grill.

I added my RT700 to the Weber gasser I already had. It gets all the grillin work and the RT700 gets all the smokin work. Both have a role and do it well. If something were to happen to the Weber, I would replace it with the same thing. No hesitation.

I had my Weber gasser before my RT700, so I already had my high heat fast grill. If the RT700 was better as a high heat grill, I might have thought about selling my weber, but honestly it is not good enough for me to use as a searing, hamburgering, hot dogging, daily quick grill, so I will keep my weber and be happy to have both. Even if my gasser died, I think I would replace with another weber gasser.

I had my Weber gasser before my RT700, so I already had my high heat fast grill. If the RT700 was better as a high heat grill, I might have thought about selling my weber, but honestly it is not good enough for me to use as a searing, hamburgering, hot dogging, daily quick grill, so I will keep my weber and be happy to have both. Even if my gasser died, I think I would replace with another weber gasser.

This is my exact position as well.. My Weber is also on natural gas which is an added connivence to me I set up last year before I got the Bull or was even thinking about it.

Now if they update the Bullseye to wifi I think I would strongly consider adding to my collection. Just waiting ⏳

I don't know what all has been said already. But, no question the Bullseye would be my recommendation. I have the 700 and a Bullseye. I use the Bullseye the most. It blows my Kamado Joe's doors off for fast cooking and heat up, and the smoke flavor is much better. You'll love the Bullseye. Forget gas. Get the sear kit with the Bullseye and not with the 700. I cook whole chickens in my Bullseye. They turn out awesome and smoky every time. You can't do that with gas. You'll like the Bullseye more than the 700, or at least use it three times as much, easily. Put some wood chunks over the perforated holes in the Bullseye for some nice smoke when up in the higher temps. It's awesome.

I use the Bullseye with the Aura cast iron grates. Riot mode and sear my steaks on it. Plus riot mode burgers pretty often.
Wish I could get my Bullseye to do Riot mode. Max it will get is 560 after 45 minutes on Riot mode
takes almost 30 minutes to get to 400.
. Multiple calls to rec tec and they tell me thats just fine.
Last guy told me its designed for 200 to 500 degrees.
so the 749 degrees is just an advertising gimmick and all the posts of others getting 749 or higher in 15 to 20 minutes are fake ?
Tryed multiple pellet brands ( including Kingsford . the tin foil ball trick you name it.
Sorry I am disgusted with this bullseye
now my 590 rocks

I really like my Weber Spirit 335 for burgers and searing. Grease management and cleanup are good.
Isn’t cleanup a bit of a pain? I like that the RT700 is so much easier to clean. Just clean the grates, change the foil on the drip tray, and vacuum the ashes. When I watch videos of people cleaning their Weber gas grills I think, I don’t want any part of that. Lol

Wish I could get my Bullseye to do Riot mode. Max it will get is 560 after 45 minutes on Riot mode
so the 749 degrees is just an advertising gimmick and all the posts of others getting 749 or higher in 15 to 20 minutes are fake ?
Tryed multiple pellet brands ( including Kingsford . the tin foil ball trick you name it.
now my 590 rocks

now my 590 rocks
Sorry you're unhappy with the Bullseye. Hopefully you are within the return window.

500 degrees with cooking grates does everything I need it to do.

I do not think it matters all that much which gas grill you get. Compared to the cheap ones the better gas grills cook hotter and last longer but they all produce a similar result.

I bought a Stampede last summer as my first pellet smoker. It has opened a whole new world of outdoor cooking options but it did not, at least for me, replace my 20 year old Fire Magic gas grill. The two compliment each other quite nicely, however.

If you are looking to buy something new, I would recommend that you consider something that has a burner layout which makes indirect heat easy. That usually means at least three individually controlled burners.

If you have a functioning gas, or even charcoal grill, replacing the stainless or cast iron grates with GrillGrates will result in you loving your old grill once again. I switched out the deteriorating cast iron grates on my grill about four months back. I wish I had known about GrillGrates years ago. They make a huge difference is my grill's performance.

If you do not know about GrillGrates, there are plenty of threads in this forum that discuss this product in great detail.

I am running the Weber Genesis with grill grates. It reaches temps up to 700° so searing is a breeze. The reverse sear complimented by the RT-700 bull is and darn good combo for sure. I have a large Weber charcoal kettle that is available whenever high heat and charcoal is in need.
I tried to use my Rec TEC for everything but it was very frustrating waiting for it to get to temp (and sometimes never did). January I went back to using my 10 year old genesis for grill stuff and use the Rec TEC for smoker stuff.

now my 590 rocks
I went through the same dog and pony show with them. Blamed it all on me. All gimmick.

now my 590 rocks
Sounds like you need to call RT. They sent me a new controller. 15 mins swap and I'm hitting 850+ degrees.

Fellow RECTE C owners, I have an original bullseye and a beta bullseye, I am here to tell you both of my grills get up to 749 degrees in under 10 minutes burning pit boss comp blend from Walmart. With grill grates I'm get just under 900 degrees measured using my temp gun. I called RECTEC service twice since I bought my Bull, it was my first RECTE C, they were absolutely fantastic both times. The bullseye was to cook hot and fast, the bull is a smoker. Takes the bull to long to get to 500 degrees for afternoon lunch or quick dinners.

I'm now using my 700 for most cooks and really enjoy smoking and cooking on it. I do have a small Napoleon gas grill that has only been used for searing and quick cooks. I recently ordered a Disc-it grill (disc cooker similar to the Matador) and hope to be able to get rid of the gas grill. While grill marks are nice to look at, I really prefer a full face sear on beef steaks and most pork cuts and hopefully the Disc-it grill will work well. Also looking forward to doing some stir frying, making fajitas etc. outdoors.

Just wanted to let you know that I have done 2 cooks on the Bullseye. It has exceeded my expectations. Both cooks posted in the forum, where phenomenal.
So far so good!

Just wanted to let you know that I have done 2 cooks on the Bullseye. It has exceeded my expectations. Both cooks posted in the forum, where phenomenal.
So far so good!
IMHO I think the 380 is a value for the buck.

I've got an RT-700 and love it, but obviously it's not ideal for hot/fast cooks as it can take a while to heat up, especially in the winter. I'm contemplating getting a gas grill (probably a Weber) for hot/fast/searing but I see where some people use a Bullseye for the same purpose.

What are your thoughts on the pros/cons of the Bullseye vs gas grill to go along with an RT-700?
I have the RT340 and the Stampede (RT590). They work out great, especially for cookouts where I have ribs on one and want to make something else at a higher temp on the on the other. I think I am going to add the Bullseye for the really quick cooks.

What's the difference between Genesis and Summit? On the website I can see the Summit is the higher-end grill but I don't see what the significant differences are as far as cooking.
I think you will find that the price is at least double, and the BTU output of the burners is much higher. Also you will normally have more features on the Summit. I have one of the older American made Summit Gold models and it has a built in rotisserie burner, smoke box burner, and a side burner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back