Bullseye not heating up

Rjcanady

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I may have caused an issue here. My Bullseye was heating up and I was placing a water pan inside and sloshed some water down into the burner pit. When I realized it wasn't heating up any longer I pulled the grills out and the pellets were damp. I pulled my shop vac out and sucked all the pellets out of the burner pit and let air from the vac continue to run and dry it out well. Started it back up and now the igniter will not work at all? Anything I can do here? It was most likely only 1/2 cup of water at the most.

Did you put a handful a pellets in the burn pot before you started it back up?
The auger dumped more pellets in and I waited to see if it was going to ignite. the burn pot had a handful in it and it kept feeding pellets as designed. I had to manually remove them as the burn pot was getting full and never ignited.

Call Recteq. They can tell you whether and/or where a fuse might be, along with the potential that the igniter was damaged by the water. I, too, suspect a fuse has opened due to the igniter being wet and trying to function.

UPDATE: The Bullseye manual has a pretty good trouble-shooting section on igniter failure. And, on Page 22, the schematic of the control board shows a fuse adjacent to J5. That’s where I’d check. Odds are, that fuse has blown.

Last edited:
I don't see how water could affect the ignitor since it functions the same as an electric water heater element which is immersed in water.

I don't see how water could affect the ignitor since it functions the same as an electric water heater element which is immersed in water.
If the water shorted out the igniter or its connections when it tried to light the pellets, the fuse would blow. The connections to a water heater element are not designed to be immersed in water either; just the actual element. The Recteq igniter element is not designed to be immersed.

Last edited:
Didn’t you get a spare fuse with the grill?
I don’t recall getting one but I did review the manual and see how to take it apart and check it. I will do that tomorrow and hope that is the fix. Stay tuned and I will post an update. Appreciate the help and suggestions.

I don’t recall getting one but I did review the manual and see how to take it apart and check it. I will do that tomorrow and hope that is the fix. Stay tuned and I will post an update. Appreciate the help and suggestions.
Typically the spare fuse is cable tied to controller.

Update. I did call Rec Teq and they stated that on the Bullseye if the fuse blew then the unit wouldn't come on at all. They also mentioned on the bullseye the fuse is integrated onto the board and if this fuse ever blew I would have to have a new board. They said since the unit was on and heating when the water was spilled down below that would cause the igniter to crack and stop working. They sent me a new igniter same day at no charge and I received it today and installed it and the grill is up and working. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
Update. I did call Rec Teq and they stated that on the Bullseye if the fuse blew then the unit wouldn't come on at all. They also mentioned on the bullseye the fuse is integrated onto the board and if this fuse ever blew I would have to have a new board. They said since the unit was on and heating when the water was spilled down below that would cause the igniter to crack and stop and working. They sent me a new igniter same day at no charge and I received it today and installed it and the grill is up and working. Thanks for all the replies.
Thanks for sharing

Update. I did call Rec Teq and they stated that on the Bullseye if the fuse blew then the unit wouldn't come on at all. They also mentioned on the bullseye the fuse is integrated onto the board and if this fuse ever blew I would have to have a new board. They said since the unit was on and heating when the water was spilled down below that would cause the igniter to crack and stop working. They sent me a new igniter same day at no charge and I received it today and installed it and the grill is up and working. Thanks for all the replies.
Good to know that you have solved the problem. Hadn’t thought about the igniter cracking due to the water, but it makes sense. Another one of those pieces of information to tuck away. Thanks for sharing it.

They also mentioned on the bullseye the fuse is integrated onto the board and if this fuse ever blew I would have to have a new board.
Cannot replace the fuse, have to replace the entire board. Boy that is a real dumb design for a control unit. Why would RT approve a design like that….

While the fuse appears to be soldered in place, most anyone with a bit of circuit board experience could easily replace it. Not a big deal, really. Actually, that same experienced person could remove the fuse and install a fuse socket. That would make replacement easier if ever needed again.

Unfortunately, in today’s world, almost everything is “discard and replace.” Finding someone to repair even the simplest electronic devices is nearly impossible.

Great info. The search feature is your friend people.(y)

Went to cook the grandkids some hot dogs last night and my Bullseye wouldn't power on at all.

I really hate firing up the Bull to 375° just for a package of hot dogs.:rolleyes:

Nice to know a new board is in my future.

....Nice to know a new board is in my future.
Finally got around to checking into my powerless Bullseye.

Removed the panel and checked the fuse and found it to be fine. Plugged the grill in, still no power.

Unplugged and plugged back in every connector on the panel. Plugged it in and it fired right up.

Weird.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back