Bull Bull won’t stay connected to app

ervoneal

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
My Bull will connect to my iPhone app. But after the phone goes in standby, when I open the app, it shows the Bull as powered off. Sometimes it reconnects after a few seconds. But i usually have to hard close the app and open it again. I no longer get any notifications regarding the progress of the cook. Is this the same issues that many are having? Or am I having some unusual issue? Hate to spend so much on a grill and then have to go buy a temp monitor system.

My Bull will connect to my iPhone app. But after the phone goes in standby, when I open the app, it shows the Bull as powered off. Sometimes it reconnects after a few seconds. But i usually have to hard close the app and open it again. I no longer get any notifications regarding the progress of the cook. Is this the same issues that many are having? Or am I having some unusual issue? Hate to spend so much on a grill and then have to go buy a temp monitor system.
It may not be the answer but do you have a dual band router/access point combined under a single network name? Depending on the age of your bull, it may not be able to differentiate between the 2 bands, creating the problem. This can also be triggered by something as simple as a router/switch firmware update or a power failure that “confused“ your bull.

I have an iPhone as I type the app is running and I don’t and have not had your issue. Tagging on to @SmokeZilla do you use a vpn or have a software firewall, possibly virus scanner running? Each of those poses potential issues.

Edit: Notifications, well I am getting them today but when all the Rectec’rs start cooking on Holidays and such the RT servers can’t handle the traffic so most do not get notifications.

Last edited:
Some owners were having signal strength issues as well. I loaded an app that has a signal strength meter in my phone. I found my old router wasn't good enough when I relocated my 700 slightly further from the house.

Some owners were having signal strength issues as well. I loaded an app that has a signal strength meter in my phone. I found my old router wasn't good enough when I relocated my 700 slightly further from the house.
Good point @Roaniecowpony I used the Airport app on iOS because my grill is a long way out. 100 ft cord to connect. You can stand by your unit and see what the app shows for signal strength.

I have to agree with Roaniecowpony, it sounds like you have signal strength issue! I have the older Bull that came with a small antenna and once I changed antennas I have stopped having issues! I bought this antenna on Amazon, easy to install!

DANUC 2 x 6dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna + 2 x 20cm U.fl/IPEX Cable for Wireless Routers Mini PCIe Cards Network Extension Bulkhead Pigtail PCI WiFi WAN Repeater​

I see they recently updated the app. Build 3.1.9 I just installed hope it is not related to the OP’s issues.

We've had our Bull for two years
We cook on it an average of twice a week
It stayed connected to the WiFi for an entire Cook once !

I started out with an offset wood burner & enjoyed it except for the constant monitoring of it so I bought a RT340 which I have had for a few years. I connected the Wi Fi right after I bought it & it worked fine. I just did not see any use of it and have not used it since. I do use a thermometer with thermocouples to monitor the temperature.

Hate to spend so much on a grill and then have to go buy a temp monitor system.
From my perspective, you will need a second temperature monitoring system of some kind anyway. There are just too many variables with the probes provided by Recteq.

Watch the ThermoWorks website (https://www.thermoworks.com/) for a sale and pick up a Smoke or Signals unit at a great price. You won’t regret it and it will provide a way to double-check your grill temp and Recteq meat probes.

From my perspective, you will need a second temperature monitoring system of some kind anyway. There are just too many variables with the probes provided by Recteq.

Watch the ThermoWorks website (https://www.thermoworks.com/) for a sale and pick up a Smoke or Signals unit at a great price. You won’t regret it and it will provide a way to double-check your grill temp and Recteq meat probes.
I just bit the bullet and bought a "Signals" unit. Haven't tried it yet, but hoping it replaces/upgrades the RT stuff entirely.

I had not had any RT connectivity problems until this latest "upgrade" to the RT App. Now, nothing works. RT needs to fix this train wreck, once and for all. What's disappointing is that RT CANNOT be unaware of the problems, but they don't seem to care enough to do anything about it. That attitude will certainly influence my future purchasing decisions.

Sign up for Thermoworks emails/notifications. Once I did that, I starting getting discount emails regularly, to the tune of -30% off, regularly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back