Bull vs Stampede - decisions decisions

Back hopper lid not much use when hood is open. Was just my take before purchasing. Guess I didn't really look to see how heavy duty the controller shelf on the bull is.
This is a picture of the RT700 Bull to show it has a useful shelf on top of the hopper with the grills lid open. Rec Tec advertises the hopper lid as a warming surface and it does work nice for keeping things warm, the top of the smokebox works as a nice place to keep things warm too.
20200712_145942.jpg

Last edited:
This is a picture of the RT700 Bull to show it has a useful shelf on top of the hopper with the grills lid open. Rec Tec advertises the hopper lid as a warming surface and it does work nice for keeping things warm, the top of the smokebox works as a nice place to keep things warm too.View attachment 5409
I agree that you can use it as a shelf, it just doesn`t look like that is what it was intended for.

Wasn't very convenient to reach around hood IMO. To each their own. Owners of either are for the most part quite happy with their purchase.

Wasn't very convenient to reach around hood IMO. To each their own. Owners of either are for the most part quite happy with their purchase.
Why would you reach around a hot open lid for anything, common sense prevails here and that's a accident waiting to happen. With the lid shut it's very convenient to get to anything back there or you can just walk around to the rear of the grill.
I agree both of these grills are great and for the most part the people that have bought them are very happy with their purchase but from what I've seen there are more people that have bought a Stampeded and later wished they got the Bull, there were many different reasons for this but I can't say I have seen this go the other way around.

Last edited:
Why would you reach around a hot open lid for anything, common sense prevails here and that's a accident waiting to happen. With the lid shut it's very convenient to get to anything back there or you can just walk around to the rear of the grill.
I agree both of these grills are great and for the most part the people that have bought them are very happy with their purchase but from what I've seen there are more people that have bought a Stampeded and later wished they got the Bull, there were many different reasons for this but I can't say I have seen this go the other way around.
You win. . . Have a great day

Happy with the Stampede ... haven't noticed a hot or cool side with it's three venting ports. I like that.

I went with the Bull and really happy with it. Here are the things which swayed me:
1. Cooking area being smaller than the actual size of grill (even less than I thought once it was built. Thanks @Mastertech59
2. The light. I grille and plan to smoke a lot in the evenings (have a light on Weber gasser which becomes incredibly handy)
3. Like having 2 different temperature areas within the grille (Since chimney side is said to be a little higher temps, even if only slightly.
4. Chimney vs Vents. Like the look of the Bull (personal preference)
Also, wife liked the look of the Bull so price difference was easy sell.;)

I have no doubt all the grilles are awesome and fit each person’s need. Looking forward to learning a lot from people on this site.

I recognize they told you that, but it's positively laughable.
[/QUO
I'll add... I talked to RecTec about the difference in warranty. They said the Bull got 2 more years because it is built with heavier steel and would take longer to burn out. I don't cook often enough for that to be a concern.
First time I’ve heard of this.

Waiting on the 590 here. Mostly because of the footprint. Spent some extra on the comp cart, which by pics looks pretty cool. Can’t wait to fire it up?

Ps. had my purchase narrowed between this and blazin’ Grill.....this forum helped sway my decision

I chose the bull over the stampede for a few reasons.
1- better warranty
2- chimney vs vents
3- rear pellet hopper
And I though it looked better lol. I have no regrets getting the bull. It’s just the wife and I so the size is a bit overkill but I’d rather have a little extra than not enough. Good luck with what ever one you chose you will not be disappointed.
Anyone have any idea why RT did not put a chimney on the Stampede? Mine is on my uncovered deck, hopper in the back would have an accessibility issue as well. Love me my new 590!

I like the vents on the stampede, because I feel like you will have better airflow and less chance of hot spots, but ultimately I went with the Bull... It was a buy once cry once kind of moment...

I think either are amazing and there are so many reasons to do one over the other, I think the only bad option is buying something that doesn't fit your need and budget...

I wished I had gotten the Bull instead of the Stampede. The two inch convection air gap needed around the cooking surface is quit a bit of lost cooking area. Also having to contend with the Stampede's smoke vents leaking smoke causing stains on the lid and they break easily.

If you think your Stampede creates smoke stains, wait until you get your Bullseye...

Attachments

• A37F441A-94F3-4BF2-BA6E-90094127B8A8.jpeg
    A37F441A-94F3-4BF2-BA6E-90094127B8A8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 87
Yep, and I told the wife I am not going to worry about it. I am just thankful there is no drip pan and bucket to worry about. I bet I won't use the Stampede for a long time. Bullseye is being delivered tomorrow. What is that under your Bullseye on the deck?

Yep, and I told the wife I am not going to worry about it. I am just thankful there is no drip pan and bucket to worry about. I bet I won't use the Stampede for a long time. Bullseye is being delivered tomorrow. What is that under your Bullseye on the deck?
It’s an old baking steel, somewhere between 1/4“ and 3/8” thick. I once used it on a 60k BTU propane burner and introduced a very slight warp. I am experimenting with putting the concave side up and using it as a replacement for the OEM deflector. Just having some fun with it, rather than looking for a solution to a problem I don’t have.

It’s an old baking steel, somewhere between 1/4“ and 3/8” thick. I once used it on a 60k BTU propane burner and introduced a very slight warp. I am experimenting with putting the concave side up and using it as a replacement for the OEM deflector. Just having some fun with it, rather than looking for a solution to a problem I don’t have.
OK, understand. I ordered the sear plates too for the Bullseye but hope to not use them since the Bullseye gets hot to trot. Don't want to have to clean it. LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back