Bull Built in Bull

jasonvr

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
My patio redo is finally finished which means my Bull is finally operational in her new home. I did rough plans for my contractor, and they made some mods for dimension, etc. They also came up with the idea to embed the entire control shelf into the structure. They did the extension on the wiring, but I ended up redoing the extension on the RTD wire. Did my first smoke today -prime tri-tip! So nice to have the Bull more accessible from the kitchen

Counters and the platform the Bull is on are polished concrete. To facilitate airflow, the bull is raised about 3/4" using 2x2 steel fence post and secured with longer stainless bolts thru the original holes for the cart (2 per corner).

Original plan in SketchUp
Original BBQ Plan.JPG
MVIMG_20200822_115252.jpg
IMG_20200822_115301.jpg

Hi Jason, can you provide more details on the extension for the wiring? I’m building a u-shape kitchen and will need 12”-16” more reach to get from the 700 to the location of the control panel.

Yep I have the same question as @JWeekly. Mine is going in a straight table but the controller will need to be down and under the shelf on the left side.
Also, did you put an air gap under it? Support recommended an air gap.

Don't think I've seen such a setup around here, probably due to our winters. Very nice job.

Very nice and well done. Add a hammock and I’d call it home. Congrats and enjoy the fruits of your hard work and ingenuity.

Hi Jason, can you provide more details on the extension for the wiring? I’m building a u-shape kitchen and will need 12”-16” more reach to get from the 700 to the location of the control panel.

Yep I have the same question as @JWeekly. Mine is going in a straight table but the controller will need to be down and under the shelf on the left side.
Also, did you put an air gap under it? Support recommended an air gap.

My contractor did a pretty crappy job actually and just cut the wire and twisted it together for the RTD. The other control cable was actually long enough to not need an extension for my application (the molex connector it outside the structure). So, what I did for the RTD was cut the cable just outside the wall (before entering the structure). I attached a 2 pin Molex connector there. I then used some random wire I had in the house to the other half of the Molex connector. I then ran the wire thru the hole in the structure to get in to the controller. At the controller board it is connected with tab disconnects that I picked up at Home Depot. The molex connectors being outside the structure means that if I ever need to move the Bull or flip it on its back for maintenance/repair, I can do so without worrying about the wires.

The Bull is slightly raised, enough to get some airflow under there as recommended by support. I got a 2x2 steel fence post and had them cut it down into four sections that were put at the corners where the stand would have connected. We used those holes to secure the stubby legs (2 per corner). Got some plastic plugs on Amazon for the bottom of the posts as "feet". Hardest part was finding long enough stainless bolts with threads of sufficient length to create a tight connection.

Very nice and well done. Add a hammock and I’d call it home. Congrats and enjoy the fruits of your hard work and ingenuity.
I would love a hammock out there :) We've got some nice teak furniture out there including 2 club chairs, a love seat and a couch which is nice for napping on :) Add to that the 70" TV and I could basically live out there.

This looks beautiful. What happens when you decide to replace the Bull?
Why would I ever do that :D Honestly, didn't really think that far ahead. The Bull is only about 1.5 yrs old. The main unit could easily come off and then it is just a concrete platform. Only the control shelf would really cause issues and I suppose it could just be left there

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back