Bull Brisket timing...

Jamiel

Smoking on the 700 for the first time and so far so good. The timing is what I can use sone guidance on.

This brisket should finish around late night then I plan to wrap and put in cooler w towel for a few hours. But that of course will put it at 3-5 a.m and if we want it for lunch tomorrow what do y'all think would make the most sense so its ready near eating time.

It's odd timing for me bc I almost always start the night before.

Any thoughts on how to best work out the timing? Or am I ok to leave in the cooler longer?

Thanks in advance.

Check your oven to see if you can adjust the temps. I hold brisket in my oven if it’s going to be over 4 hours.
My oven has a minimum temp of 170 but I can adjust up or down 30 degrees. I do a -20 degree adjustment, let the brisket cool to about 160-170 then put it in the oven (set at 170 but actually at 150). I’ve held brisket this way for 10 hours.
Before I put it in the oven I leave the butcher paper on the brisket and wrap everything in plastic wrap then put between two towels. The plastic wrap really holds the moisture in.

Check your oven to see if you can adjust the temps. I hold brisket in my oven if it’s going to be over 4 hours.
My oven has a minimum temp of 170 but I can adjust up or down 30 degrees. I do a -20 degree adjustment, let the brisket cool to about 160-170 then put it in the oven (set at 170 but actually at 150). I’ve held brisket this way for 10 hours.
Before I put it in the oven I leave the butcher paper on the brisket and wrap everything in plastic wrap then put between two towels. The plastic wrap really holds the moisture in.
Great thanks. Do you mean to do this after wrapping and placing in cooler for a few hours (still assuming tastes best practice immediately after) or do you think straight from smoker, wrap and put in oven at the low temp until lunch? Also looks like our ovens lowest temp is 200. It does have a "warm" setting.. I'm not sure what that temp is, but maybe that is will serve the same purpose. Thanks again.

I let the brisket rest in the paper on the counter until the temp drops to 160-170 (i use an Inkbird probe so I can leave the probe in), then put it in the oven set at 150. If you have your oven’s manual many of them let you adjust the temp, probably to adjust for cooking at different elevations. On mine you hold the start and clock buttons for 5 seconds then it goes to the adjustment screen. I drop the temp 20 degrees so the 170 setting is actually 150. I have an ambient probe as well as meat probe so I can keep an eye on both the oven and brisket temps.

You could try the “warm” setting and see what temp it uses.

How’d the brisket cook and hold work out? What did you ultimately do?

Came out very good. Not my very best but Id say a close 2nd. We were very pleased with it, especially my first time using the Recteq. I wrapped it in the cooler for 2 hours and then kept it wrapped and covered and put in the fridge until we got home from Church. Then brought back to room temp today and heated back up on 225 in the oven for 1:15 minutes.

The Pitmaster at John Lewis BBQ says that you can take your Brisket out and immediately wrap it in butcher paper (Perry Lang suggests then wrapping in Saran Wrap), then wrapping it in a towel and keeping it in a cooler for as long as 12 hours. Not everybody has an oven that can stay at a low temp of 170° or less, plus the oven method smells up the house.

Probably won't work for brisket unless you slice it first or cut it into chunks, but I cook some things like pulled pork ahead of time, vacuum seal it, freeze or refrigerate it, and reheat it in the sealed bag in hot water. Works well for leftover brisket, etc. as well. Seems to enhance the smoky flavor as well.

Nice start
You'll play around with Times and Temps, until you dial-in what works best for you
Here's what works for us:
DEN'S SMOKED MEATS, TEMPS and TIMES CHEAT SHEET
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:00 pmU@150 / W@200-205Garlic Onion Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsU 8 hrs+/- (Paper)W 8 hrs+/- Rest 4 hrs+/-

The Pitmaster at John Lewis BBQ says that you can take your Brisket out and immediately wrap it in butcher paper (Perry Lang suggests then wrapping in Saran Wrap), then wrapping it in a towel and keeping it in a cooler for as long as 12 hours. Not everybody has an oven that can stay at a low temp of 170° or less, plus the oven method smells up the house.
We have these pellet grills that can hold 180 degrees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back