Boneless Leg of Lamb

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Leg of lamb smokes beautifully on the grill. I used the 590. It was done to a perfect medium rare in 4 hours. One of our favorite items to smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_133024.jpg
    IMG_20201016_133024.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20201016_133219.jpg
    IMG_20201016_133219.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20201016_132553.jpg
    IMG_20201016_132553.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20201016_135228.jpg
    IMG_20201016_135228.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20201016_135612.jpg
    IMG_20201016_135612.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20201016_140020.jpg
    IMG_20201016_140020.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20201018_180355.jpg
    IMG_20201018_180355.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 161
Leg of lamb smokes beautifully on the grill. I used the 590. It was done to a perfect medium rare in 4 hours. One of our favorite items to smoke.
What temperature did you cook at?[/QUOT

Looks great, what temperature did you cook at?

That looks great! I have never cared for lamb. And, I raise hair sheep and sell lambs that ultimately end up on someone’s dinner table.

But, that looks very good. I would definitely try it.

@Micky I cook lamb quite a bit for clients. I'm a personal chef. I run into clients all the time that do not want to eat lamb because they ate it once in their life and I'm pretty sure they were eating mutton. It has been my experience that if you remove the hard fat on the interior of the leg and any of the silver skin or slippery stuff, you are getting rid of that gamey flavor.

For those people that do not have a taste for lamb, try it this way. But like I said, you have to get rid of any of the interior fat. If you look at my pictures you can see the before photo and the after photo with all the seasoning prior to rolling it back up. There's little or no fat on the interior of the meat.

I always leave the exterior fat cap. It's generally thin. After I smoke or slow cook in my oven, I heat the oven to 500 for about 10 minutes to crisp the outside.

That looks really nice, and the price is reasonable also. I’m going to look for that cut on my next trip to Costco.

Love lamb on the RT. Just made a morracan based boneless leg a few weeks ago. Outstanding looking cook Beth. I am sure it tasted just as good as it looks.
In my experience, lamb should be cooked med to med rare. I find anything hotter than that tends to also bring out gamey flavors.

@BretM I use this basic rub for lamb all the time:

Parsley chopped
Fresh garlic, minced
Fresh rosemary, chopped
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
Kosher Salt and Pepper (I use very course ground pepper).
Olive Oil (2-3 tablespoons)

I realize that I am not giving you measures. That's because I don't measure this concoction. It's to taste. If you add too much salt for instance, balance it with more herbs. You can get as creative as you want. Any seasoning you enjoy with lamb will work with this. About a handful of the mixture will be enough to cover the inside and outside of a 5 pound roast. Make sure the mixture is pleasantly salty, not over salty.

Parsley chopped
Fresh garlic, minced
Fresh rosemary, chopped
Lemon zest from 1 lemon

I realize that I am not giving you measures. That's because I don't measure this concoction. It's to taste. If you add too much salt for instance, balance it with more herbs. You can get as creative as you want. Any seasoning you enjoy with lamb will work with this. About a handful of the mixture will be enough to cover the inside and outside of a 5 pound roast. Make sure the mixture is pleasantly salty, not over salty.

Thanks. I was curious if the green stuff was parsley or mint...mint is pretty popular with lamb. I've never been too fond of lamb, not because of the flavor, just the whole idea of it...but I think I may have to give this a whirl.

You could definitely use mint. The seasoning that is rubbed on the inside will impart flavor and stay green and moist. You should give it a go. It's really good.

Parsley chopped
Fresh garlic, minced
Fresh rosemary, chopped
Lemon zest from 1 lemon

Tried my hand at the leg of lamb tonight.
Big thank you to @BethV for the recipe and extra assistance! The family loved the final product. It had great flavor and was extremely tender. We will be doing this again!
I finished it on indirect heat on my Weber gasser, it got a bit too hot (600) and I was worried to would ruin the flavor, but it didn’t taste burnt at all it was nice and crispy. Next time ill turn the gasser down a bit more and try to keep closer to 500. All in all very pleased for my first try.

Thanks again Beth!

For some reason the pictures didn’t attach

Attachments

• 7E69C212-94BC-4E4A-918C-7940744D910B.jpeg
    7E69C212-94BC-4E4A-918C-7940744D910B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • 15993AF8-4427-4E86-B1AB-C104EE050DFA.jpeg
    15993AF8-4427-4E86-B1AB-C104EE050DFA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • 5B748A6D-C84E-4DD8-A4B6-E7B56881373C.jpeg
    5B748A6D-C84E-4DD8-A4B6-E7B56881373C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
Tried my hand at the leg of lamb tonight.
Big thank you to @BethV for the recipe and extra assistance! The family loved the final product. It had great flavor and was extremely tender. We will be doing this again!
I finished it on indirect heat on my Weber gasser, it got a bit too hot (600) and I was worried to would ruin the flavor, but it didn’t taste burnt at all it was nice and crispy. Next time ill turn the gasser down a bit more and try to keep closer to 500. All in all very pleased for my first try.

Thanks again Beth!
@Mac2bdr I'm so happy to hear it turned out well! Lamb works so nice on the grill with a little smoke. Sounds like you did a great job!

Thanks for this. Looks fantastic. four hours at 235. Internal?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back