Best Sous Vide to get started with?

I’m cooking a pork loin sous vide on the Joule tonight, to be finished with a final sear on the Bullseye. I was wanting to sous vide some asparagus while the loin is cooking, so I’m putting it in a cocotte on the Control Freak, temp set to 180° F. My Thermapen ONE and the freak are in agreement on the water temp! Since I mentioned earlier in this thread about doing this, I thought some might find it interesting.

View attachment 15824
Wow! A “cocotte!” We’re getting into the rarified air of cooking terms with that one!. But, then, I wouldn’t expect any less from a chef that is using one of those pricey Breville Control Freak units. :ROFLMAO: Well played,@Greg Jones…well played.;)

Wow! A “cocotte!” We’re getting into the rarified air of cooking terms with that one!. But, then, I wouldn’t expect any less from a chef that is using one of those pricey Breville Control Freak units. :ROFLMAO: Well played,@Greg Jones…well played.;)
I got a $300 discount on the Freak from ChefSteps, so that made it a little less hateful! I’m not going to even try to convince anyone here they are worth every penny, but I will say I like it so much that there are times where I think about adding a second one.

I got a $300 discount on the Freak from ChefSteps, so that made it a little less hateful! I’m not going to even try to convince anyone here they are worth every penny, but I will say I like it so much that there are times where I think about adding a second one.
That’s great! I’ve often wondered how the Njori Tempo compares. It seems to have similar abilities, but is a little easier on the wallet.

That’s great! I’ve often wondered how the Njori Tempo compares. It seems to have similar abilities, but is a little easier on the wallet.
Do you have a Njori Tempo? They indicate it is still in development on their website.

Do you have a Njori Tempo? They indicate it is still in development on their website.
Nope, I don’t. They have the prototypes done, but they haven’t made it through production as of April 22nd. They’re hoping to ship in July, currently. I’m very curious about it, though!

Nope, I don’t. They have the prototypes done, but they haven’t made it through production as of April 22nd. They’re hoping to ship in July, currently. I’m very curious about it, though!
It does look interesting and compared to the cost of the Freak, a lot more likely to be bought by me.

Interesting, I had not heard of the NT before now. It looks like it shares a lot of features with the Freak-pan sensor as well as a probe, USB port, etc. The Freak is considered a commercial device in the Breville lineup (it even comes with a padded carry case intended for use in catering events) so it is, for lack of a better term, ‘overbuilt’ for the home kitchen. Dual fans, 1,800 vs. 1,600 watts of power, program customization, and it appears to have a larger cook surface although that may not be the case. Of course the commercial features of the Freak give it a commercial price tag as well. That NT could be a real winner at its price point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back