Best Sous Vide to get started with?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
After reading a number of posts regarding using Sous Vide in conjunction with pellet grill cooking, I’m thinking about taking the plunge, but don’t want to get into hot water. :rolleyes: Any advice on what Sous Vide machine would be good to start with? I’m generally one who prefers to “buy once and cry once,” so would prefer to look at units that would last a while and would be flexible enough to try a number of different uses.

I see that Inkbird makes a couple of different units and they are currently offering a discount coupon on them. Anyone using one ot their units? I would also appreciate any input on the kinds of peripheral items I might need; e.g. water container with lid, etc. I have plenty of cooking stuff, just not very familiar with Sous Vide beyond what I’ve read.

What say, anyone?

After reading a number of posts regarding using Sous Vide in conjunction with pellet grill cooking, I’m thinking about taking the plunge, but don’t want to get into hot water. :rolleyes: Any advice on what Sous Vide machine would be good to start with? I’m generally one who prefers to “buy once and cry once,” so would prefer to look at units that would last a while and would be flexible enough to try a number of different uses.

I see that Inkbird makes a couple of different units and they are currently offering a discount coupon on them. Anyone using one ot their units? I would also appreciate any input on the kinds of peripheral items I might need; e.g. water container with lid, etc. I have plenty of cooking stuff, just not very familiar with Sous Vide beyond what I’ve read.

What say, anyone?
Anova was the first immersion circulator for sous vide on the market, and it’s still one of the best, especially if you don’t want to have to use an app. If you don’t mind using an app, the Breville Joule is America’s Test Kitchen’s top pick, and it’s slightly more accurate. If you’re interested in the Anova, you can often get a good deal on one with a container through either Sam’s Club or Costco.

Edit: I think the Joule also has a model that doesn’t require an app.

Edit: Nope, either I was given incorrect info, or it’s been discontinued. All current models require the app.

Last edited:
I got the Inkbird

Only used it about 2X as I am not crazy about the final texture using this method. Hard to explain but it's not the same for me. Kind of grosses me out.. maybe it's in my head :unsure:.

The unit itself works great and has wifi. There is 25% off avail.

I tried the Joule and wasn’t impressed, especially for the price. Sent it back. A friend of mine recommended the Anova to me, but I have yet to get back into the Sous vide game. Costco sells a nice kit and I’ve seen it on sale as low as $139.99, regularly $199.99.

Attachments

• 3A5268EA-96E9-4C27-A5DA-9991781AB846.jpeg
    3A5268EA-96E9-4C27-A5DA-9991781AB846.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 74
  • AFA2FB6D-FCD1-4EAD-B328-7F07951D7EE7.jpeg
    AFA2FB6D-FCD1-4EAD-B328-7F07951D7EE7.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 74
I've been very happy with the Anova. Don't really know if it is the best, but works well for me.

I don't own sous vide, but several friends have the Anova. They are all happy with it. I have been thinking about picking up one too

Thanks for the information, folks. I was hoping to find a unit NOT made in China, but it seems like that is a pipe dream. It looks like all the units mentioned are made in China. Yeah, I know, so is Recteq, but my preference is still “Made in USA.” Oh well!

I will look into Anova, Inkbird and Joule units. Any others I should check out?

Thanks for the information, folks. I was hoping to find a unit NOT made in China, but it seems like that is a pipe dream. It looks like all the units mentioned are made in China. Yeah, I know, so is Recteq, but my preference is still “Made in USA.” Oh well!

I will look into Anova, Inkbird and Joule units. Any others I should check out?
The Yedi Infinity appears to be worth a look. It may be sold out at this particular link, but there’s some nice information there 🙂

Last edited:
I got the Inkbird

Only used it about 2X as I am not crazy about the final texture using this method. Hard to explain but it's not the same for me. Kind of grosses me out.. maybe it's in my head :unsure:.

The unit itself works great and has wifi. There is 25% off avail.
I also have the Inkbird. I agree with you, sdynak. I don't like what it does to the texture of the beef - or fish, for that matter. The only thing I use mine for is reheating - and that works great. Especially on brisket.

I also have the Inkbird. I agree with you, sdynak. I don't like what it does to the texture of the beef - or fish, for that matter. The only thing I use mine for is reheating - and that works great. Especially on brisket.

Good stuff.. at least I'm not going crazy, or at least I didn't think I was :unsure:. Kind of hard to explain and I don't know know why it happens.

I don't eat fish so wasn't sure if it changed that as well.

Last time I reheated a meal like this I just heated water (pulled pork) since I didn't want to break everything out just for a reheat.

Shame it just sits on the shelf but not really worth anything.

I’m not familiar with the Inkbird, but the Anova and the Joule grab the top spots in the tests I’ve read. I bought the Joule, and I like it a lot. It’s very lightweight, compact, and has a nice feature to that the base is magnetic so you can put it in the bottom of a pot without using a clamp. The downside to this compactness is that there are no controls on the unit-you must use the app. The app is very good, and I’ve not missed having on-board controls.

Thus far I’m using the Joule mostly for reheating brisket, pulled pork, etc. but it is also very nice for cooking individual BS chicken pieces and then giving them a quick sear in a skillet.

If you are going to cook in a Sous Vide bath for hours, or days, you will want to consider a dedicated container to minimize evaporation. It’s important to get one that is compatible with your SV unit. Here’s the Brand that I bought for use with the Joule. Pretty economical, and works great.

I have the WANCLE, I'm happy with it.
I bought THIS container and LID. Just had to cut a circle in the lid for the Wancle. Keeps evaporation down to a minimum.

I'm no expert, but I believe you can over do it with a sous vide, leave it in too long, and get weird textures.

If you are going to cook in a Sous Vide bath for hours, or days, you will want to consider a dedicated container to minimize evaporation. It’s important to get one that is compatible with your SV unit. Here’s the Brand that I bought for use with the Joule. Pretty economical, and works great.
This is absolutely true. However, if you’re in a pinch, ping pong balls floating on top of the water will work to minimize the evaporation. That’s what I had to do before they started making containers for these things 🙂. Binder clips are also helpful to clip the bags to the container/pot so that they stay submerged.

This is absolutely true. However, if you’re in a pinch, ping pong balls floating on top of the water will work to minimize the evaporation. That’s what I had to do before they started making containers for these things 🙂. Binder clips are also helpful to clip the bags to the container/pot so that they stay submerged.
Balls floating on water sounds painful. Binder clips is going too far.

What say, anyone?
I have the Anova which works very well. I bought a second one at Costco that came with a container to cook the food in. Nice package. It is Bluetooth and WiFI.

I have used this with steaks many times. Cook to 110-115 then take out and put on my Bullseye at 250 for awhile to get some smoke flavor then hit riot mode to sear. Great outcome.

Thanks, folks.
The only thing I use mine for is reheating - and that works great. Especially on brisket.
Thus far I’m using the Joule mostly for reheating brisket, pulled pork, etc.
This would be my primary use for a Sous Vide machine as well; reheating stuff. Since there’s just the two of us most of the time, trying to eat a full brisket (even a small one) by ourselves before getting tired of it is a chore. I’d like to be able to freeze half or two-thirds of the brisket for later use.

If I go down this road, I do plan to get a dedicated water container as well.

I've been using this method for quite a while and love it. The immersion circulators all work well and can be used with lots of different container types, including a cooler. I have one from KitchenFun and a SousVide Supreme coutertop version.
For big group cooks, I use a 145 yeti with a
  1. bucket heater https://smile.amazon.com/Immersion-...locphy=9012015&hvtargid=pla-556055671365&th=1
  2. inkbird temp controller https://smile.amazon.com/Inkbird-Ma...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
With this setup, I've done 10 packer briskets, up to 20 racks of baby backs, or up to 15 pork butts at once. All of it gets finished on a grill or oven for service. It's like cheating. Short video attached.

Since getting the RecTeq, I've done a brisket, dino ribs, and pork ribs, all finished on the Bull. It comes out awesome.

Let me know if you want some tips and ideas. I've cooked everything I can think of in the Sous Vide and had plenty of failures to go with some outstanding results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back