Best rub for pulled pork

The absolute best rub you can possibly put on your protein is the one you make up yourself. Grab a recipe off the internet, there are a jillion of them. And when you think you're ready, mix up your own concoction. I've never ruined a piece of meat with random rubs. I've always made it part of the joy of smoking. And I don't know as I've ever used the same recipe twice.

I do have about 5 store-bought and/or online rubs. I really like the RecTeq Rossarooski honey rib rub. But I make my own because my bride of 45 years doesn’t like spicy hot. Gotta keep the boss happy. Here’s my basic rub recipe. Doctor it however you’d like.

Here’s a pic of my recipe and a pic of my backup plan. 🤭

IMG_9341.jpeg

IMG_0365.jpeg

Most 9-to-10-pound butts I do take around 12 hours "I never wrap", so you are getting close to rest time whether you wrap or not. :) That has great color and texture by the way.
Thanks! Since ahead of schedule thinking I’m gonna put it in a cooler with some towels - I wrapped tight in a foil pan, I was debating on not wrapping but always end up doing it. Next time I will try without as it seems to soften the bark some?

Thanks! Since ahead of schedule thinking I’m gonna put it in a cooler with some towels - I wrapped tight in a foil pan, I was debating on not wrapping but always end up doing it. Next time I will try without as it seems to soften the bark some?

It does soften the bark some, but I finish in the oven after 6 hours of smoke. I use a deep disposable aluminum pan to catch all that scrumptious juice which I mix in with the meat when I pull it. :)

I've had good luck with Meathead's "Memphis Rub" recipe for pork. Make nice bark on ribs and the times I have used it on pork shoulder.

The salt is in the dry brine before the cook.

I am sure some else missed the butt glitter, I know I did. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Here you go. Dude's a bit eccentric, but it's a good rub.

Popdaddy’s ButtGlitter

8 Parts Tina Turner - Paprika
3 Parts George Clinton - Salt
3 Parts Little Richard - Sugar
2 Parts Chaka Kahn - Cumin
2 Parts Prince - Garlic Powder
2 Parts Rick James - Onion Powder
2 Parts Don Cornelius (Re-Ground before mix) - Celery Seed
1 Part Carlos Santana - Chili Powder
1 Part John Travolta Powder - Oregamo
1 Part Larry Graham - Black Pepper
½ part each of Fred Wesley Powder and Bootsy Collins - Mustard - Red Pepper or Cayenne

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back