Beef Pichana on the 590

I have a Wild Fork Picanha in the freezer that I've been thinking about. But I am more inclined to grill it than bbq it. Maybe do a short low temp smoke on the RT700 and reverse sear over a very hot charcoal fire.

That would definitely work. Great thing about a tender cut like that,I can be cooked lots of different ways. Thanks!

It’s very tasty and versatile,you can roast it,smoke it ,bbq it ,cut it into steaks and grill. Ive even seen it slow cooked like a brisket. And it’s not to pricey

I cooked one last year, it is very different, yet flavorful. You do have options. I cut and cooked mine like steaks. This is a good video I have shared before on the subject.

I'm in Wisconsin and have never seen this cut of meat. I wonder if it is more of a regional meat. Anyone in the Twin Cities area see these in stores?

I also cooked one last weekend that I picked up at Wild Fork In Orlando. I followed Malcolm Reed's video by cooking it at 275 degrees to an internal temp of 222 degrees before tenting and resting. Really flavorful and tender. Sandwiches were just as good as the main meal. I have another in the freezer but, with it, I may try sous vide followed by searing over really hot charcoal like I saw on another thread here.

Picanha is the Brazilian name for this cut and it is very popular in well.... Brazil. I understand the name here is sirloin cap roast. I've never seen it groceries stor so I guess meat cutters incorporate it in other cuts.
Try wildfork.com and I'm sure other online meat outlets have it as well.

My go to meat is Wagyu Picanha that I turn into to a “smoked brisket” in my 590. Its super tender as others have stated, juicy and great flavor. I smoke mine fat cap up till it reaches 160F, then wrap it in foil till 203-205F, then the ice chest for 2hrs resting. It comes out perfect 100% dripping juices when cut.
Simple coarse black pepper, salt, garlic ratio that I’ve come up with over the last year that everyone I’ve shared has enjoyed. Recent cook results attached.
Edit- Forgot to state cooked at 200F temp setting until foil wrap, then changed to 225F rest of the cook.

Attachments

• 9B96CE04-161A-423E-A164-E2C0A922F8A6.jpeg
    9B96CE04-161A-423E-A164-E2C0A922F8A6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 88
  • 93731016-076B-459D-9B12-BCD33CAD67BC.jpeg
    93731016-076B-459D-9B12-BCD33CAD67BC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I'm in Wisconsin and have never seen this cut of meat. I wonder if it is more of a regional meat. Anyone in the Twin Cities area see these in stores?
I saw it at Costco in Burnsville exactly one time. In what part of the metro are you?

My go to meat is Wagyu Picanha that I turn into to a “smoked brisket” in my 590. Its super tender as others have stated, juicy and great flavor. I smoke mine fat cap up till it reaches 160F, then wrap it in foil till 203-205F, then the ice chest for 2hrs resting. It comes out perfect 100% dripping juices when cut.
Simple coarse black pepper, salt, garlic ratio that I’ve come up with over the last year that everyone I’ve shared has enjoyed. Recent cook results attached.
Edit- Forgot to state cooked at 200F temp setting until foil wrap, then changed to 225F rest of the cook.
How long was the entire cook. We are empty nester's and looking for a smaller substitute for brisket. I have done tri-tips, that have turned out really well.

How long was the entire cook. We are empty nester's and looking for a smaller substitute for brisket. I have done tri-tips, that have turned out really well.
Sorry, just got back from a NAPA trip and private wine tastings. 🍷
Normally I can find 4 to 4.5 lbs and take me about 7.5 to sometimes 8 hrs of cooking and we leave in cooler for another 1.5 to 2 hrs. We are “almost” empty nesters but it feeds 3 of us with leftovers. I vacuum pack individual packs and freeze to enjoy for a quick lunch here & there.

You might also find it labeled as Coulotte. My local butcher sells it as this. I learned this when I asked for Picanha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back