App issues

Tklbc

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Android user here. Does anyone have a problem with the following on the app:
1. Most of the time the only thing that trends for me is the set point. No grill temp or probes.
2. The app stops updating and I have to go out and go back in.

Also is there a way to look at history with cooks? I used to run a flame boss on my WSM that was great in that regard. I could see all temps and setpoint trends, time, and I could keep notes for reference on cooks.

Thanks

Yes, it's a mess. Check al of the posts about notifications and the app on this forum and others.

For those that wonder why I feel the need to comment every time this comes up... here you go. You may know but TONS of people still don't know until it's too late and they ruin their meal.

Until RecTeq fixes this server-side issue... I will continue shedding light on the problem in an effort to protect owners just like the creator of this thread.

It seems this has been an ongoing issue for a while. So instead of addressing this notification issue, they release a new user interface that’s annoying as hell to use. Come on RecTeq, be better.

Not on Android but there is no history saved other than the actual cook. It would be nice to see them but not an options as far as I know. You have to take your own notes if you want that I'm afraid.

On IOS I do get the update issues so have to go out and come back into see an update. I don't recall the previous app doing that. This one seems more buggy.

I would recommend touching base with RecTec for attention. This forum is not run by them so they likely will not pay any attention here on issues.

Yes, it's a mess. Check al of the posts about notifications and the app on this forum and others.

For those that wonder why I feel the need to comment every time this comes up... here you go. You may know but TONS of people still don't know until it's too late and they ruin their meal.

Until RecTeq fixes this server-side issue... I will continue shedding light on the problem in an effort to protect owners just like the creator of this thread.

just checking on where you got the data on “TONS” of people?

I purchased my first Recteq smoker mid-last year and even though the smoker works great, the app never has and is even worse with the last update. I've contacted Recteq at least four times now and none of their suggestions work and the app still hasn't been fixed. I purchased an Inkbird four-channel to keep track of cooks. The Recteq app doesn't update very well unless you back out of the app and go back in. It also appears to get maxed out on data, getting a "frequency limit error", followed by "no chart data available" and eventually starting over at a later time than the original start time and losing all data prior to that. The app guys suggestion to change the rate to 10 minutes of longer only marginally works. For all long cooks like for brisket, it loses data. I've tried reinstalling the app and now have a new Android phone and the app still doesn't work correctly. On the new version, it also won't allow changing the min feed rate, which I normally don't change anyway, but noticed it only when checking all the functions of the new app. I hope they will finally get someone that can fix the app.

I am 280 lbs. so add me in the count. The app is broken and a digitized bunch of crap. I have commented on this already and I have talked to recteq about it. The person I dealt with was helping me with other issues on my RT-1250 and was not a person who had dealings with any apps but he took what I told him and wanted to pass it along. Though he sounded sincere I cannot believe there is anyone in that company that does not know their app is badly broken. Though I am new to recteq and pellet grills, what I have seen on the internet seems to show that it became broken either right before or right after the RT-1250 came out. They may have broken it modifying the app to work with the RT-1250. Just a thought!

The app on my android worked fine. Then I went to an iPhone. We can discuss that mistake elsewhere. And I downloaded the app. This one is a nuisance from the get-go and a particular question I have that I haven’t seen others raise is, what is with the new graph bar? It makes no sense to me at all. A long horizontal line and then a sharp vertical line. Or two lines. Incomprehensible to my aged brain.

I'm glad I have a Fireboard 2. I use the RT app to turn my 590 on/off and it can do that reliably. Everything else the Fireboard does on a level RT cannot begin to approach. I don't know squat about this app development stuff, but at this point, I suspect they really don't give a rats rump if it works or not. The time to resolve the problem is long past. I'm going to the Yoder plant in December. They run their grill app with Fireboard technology. I may just bring one home with me if they are not still back ordered.

I to ordered an Inkbird four probe temp. controller that has WiFi and Bluetooth along with a instant read thermometer. I did that because of the issues that I’ve read about with the Recteq controller. I just ordered a RT-1250 with the new dual band controller and the updated app. My grill will be here Tuesday. My question is did they fix any or all of these problems or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I to ordered an Inkbird four probe temp. controller that has WiFi and Bluetooth along with a instant read thermometer. I did that because of the issues that I’ve read about with the Recteq controller. I just ordered a RT-1250 with the new dual band controller and the updated app. My grill will be here Tuesday. My question is did they fix any or all of these problems or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
The 1250 is great, the app just plain sucks. Yesterday, as I posted in another thread, on/off notifications worked, but all the others, nada.

At least on my 1250, the app notifications are hit and miss. It's obviously something with their servers pulling information from the grill and pushing out notifications as they seem less reliable on weekends and holidays when more people are cooking.

In the end I really don't care as I prefer using my Thermoworks Signals multiprobe WiFi unit over the notifications from the RT app and probes.

As long as I can turn on/off and set a temperature from the app, it does what I need. I didn't buy the RT for an app anyway. I will say with the dual band WiFi I have never had an issue connecting to the grill.

The only issues that I’ve had are with graphs. On my last cook the recorded temperature didn’t fit the timeline on the screen. I think the purpose of the graphs is to be able to repeat an exact cook temperature profile over and over in the event that you have that perfect cook, great flavor, smoke ring and tenderness. Everything else worked perfectly for me.

So got a 590 and trying the app. The temperature charting only shows Set point. On an android. So apparently this app is pretty buggy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back