Bull Anyone wrap pork shoulder with butcher paper?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have a technique that I use for pork shoulder that i may have found out on here. So thank you.

I usually like to cook pork shoulder naked because I like texture on the outside and also I like to get as much smoke as possible. What I do is throw it on at 225 and then when it hits 160, i turn up the heat to 300 until it hits 170, then i finish on 225. I feel this powers through the stall and works out well for me.

However, I'm interested in leaving it at 225 the whole cook and wrapping in butcher paper from 160 until finished. If I do it this way:

1) Will the smoke still penetrate with the butcher paper on?
2) Will the bark be bark still?
3) Alternatively, should I wrap at 160, then remove the butcher paper at 170, and go naked for rest of cook?
4) Has anyone ventured out from Snake River Farms for a pork shoulder? I see a couple of other places.

Thank you

1) Your pork shoulder will only really take on smoke the first few hours of the process. At your wrapping temperature you can effectively pull it and throw it in the oven to finish and likely would never know the difference other than not having to go outside in the cold/snow again and the rich smoke smell in your house.

2) You may not have as much texture or dryness to your bark if you wrap. I wrap using foil @ ~165deg and my bark ends up being a little bit more moist or sort of caramelized if you will. I prefer this texture to the more jerky like texture I get when I leave it unwrapped for the duration of the smoke. Everyone is different.

3) I think the best bet is to wrap or don't wrap but I can't really imagine a scenario where unwrapping before the end of the cook would be of benefit. I assume this question is in relation to #1 though in which case you can see why based on that info.

4) Nope.

The only thing else I can add in addition to the above is that the paper will allow for some breathing of the meat which won't make for as soggy of a bark.

I think the best bet is to wrap or don't wrap but I can't really imagine a scenario where unwrapping before the end of the cook would be of benefit. I assume this question is in relation to #1 though in which case you can see why based on that info.

Ok, when i used to wrap with foil, I used to unwrap after the stall to firm up the bark again. And also to get more smoke(i thought).

Ok, when i used to wrap with foil, I used to unwrap after the stall to firm up the bark again. And also to get more smoke(i thought).
I suppose that unwrapping it could effectively dry out that bark once again somewhat but if that's the desired outcome I'd just go unwrapped for the duration. You won't get any more smoke flavor though unwrapping at the end and pellet smokers aren't really known for a strong smoke profile anyway. You'd want to add supplemental smoke via tube/tray during that first few hours to get higher smoker flavor if that's what you're into. Personally, I like to taste the meat prominently and have the smoke compliment the meat flavor. I think that a lot of people develop a palate for what smoked meats should taste like from overly smoked foods in the past but that's just my opinion. Your food should not taste like creosote which seems like a universally accepted statement on these forums but, based on some of the 'que I've eaten in my time, not everyone out in the real world subscribes to that concept. Everyone has their opinion of what they like though so it's best to make whatever you want to eat.

Any particular reason for not venturing out of Snake River farms? Have you tried any others? I was actually referring to Kurobuta pork shoulder only.

Any particular reason for not venturing out of Snake River farms? Have you tried any others? I was actually referring to Kurobuta pork shoulder only.
Make It Rain Reaction GIF

My wife would wonder who drugged me if I bought a pork butt anywhere more expensive than the wholesale club.

If this post was meant for me, I literally have no idea what this question was asking. I don't know what Snake River Farms is so I can't speak to that topic even remotely.

I have a technique that I use for pork shoulder that i may have found out on here. So thank you.

I usually like to cook pork shoulder naked because I like texture on the outside and also I like to get as much smoke as possible. What I do is throw it on at 225 and then when it hits 160, i turn up the heat to 300 until it hits 170, then i finish on 225. I feel this powers through the stall and works out well for me.

However, I'm interested in leaving it at 225 the whole cook and wrapping in butcher paper from 160 until finished. If I do it this way:

1) Will the smoke still penetrate with the butcher paper on?
2) Will the bark be bark still?
3) Alternatively, should I wrap at 160, then remove the butcher paper at 170, and go naked for rest of cook?
4) Has anyone ventured out from Snake River Farms for a pork shoulder? I see a couple of other places.

Thank you
I always cheated on my coal grill. Got it to 165 by midnight, wrapped in foil, put in the oven at 225 to finish.
Cant wait to put it in my 700 and let it ride for the whole cook.

if you do try the method you proposed, please follow up with the results

Before I got my RT, I would put a butt in the oven at around 3am then go back to bed. When I woke up later, I would get the stick burner going and then begin to smoke it, at probably 4-5 hours into the cook. I would put out some great tasting meat, smoke ring and all. It wasn't super smoky, but it was good enough for me and the family. Now, it's much easier. You just got to find what works for you and roll with it and take notes of what you do. That's half the fun with these things.

This is my only feedback (well, for now): if I want bark [and I do] and if I wrap then I do so once the bark satisfies my preference. Hence, I don't wrap at any given temp. I will not offer this as a guarantee but I have a hunch that wrapping pork affects my bark. I've tried wrapping pork shoulders but almost always do them completely naked these days.

I appreciate the help, thanks guys. I just got a couple of shoulders from SRF. I wont cook them for about 3 months though. Apparently my cholesterol is high and I'm eating really clean for the next 3 months. Turkey, fish, vegetables, and sardines. After my bloodwork at 3 months, if it's good, I'm gonna celebrate with one of these babies, cant wait. Not sure if I'll wrap or not, but if I don't, I may still do the crank up during the stall.

Funny thing. I asked them how long it would take to cook their 17lb shoulder on a smoker at 225 until an internal of 200. I guess maybe they dont cook them that low because they told me 7hrs. Lmfao. I wish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back