Anyone Use Lawry's Seasoned Salt?

I also use it all the time, including in most of my DIY rubs. In addition, for steaks and chops I always use MSG (Accent) and on non tender meat like Brisket, Sirloin steaks, Tri-tip I use BBQ Phosphate.
I use MSG often as well, in a lot of things on and off the grill.

I have done many turkeys that I have brined and then seasoned, they most certainly were not too salty. I have also done a few pork shoulders that way as well, one would assume that would make the meat too salty as that would logically make sense, but it just doesnt seem to be the case. :)

The Texas Monthly barbecue editor just reported that many Texas BBQ joints secretly use Lawry's Seasoned Salt, even those that profess to use only salt and pepper.

Has anyone here used it, and if so what are you results?
I’ve been using it for years on the wife’s burgers, I use a SPG mix on mine. It’s good stuff!

I also use it all the time, including in most of my DIY rubs. In addition, for steaks and chops I always use MSG (Accent) and on non tender meat like Brisket, Sirloin steaks, Tri-tip I use BBQ Phosphate.
agaffer,

You’re reading my mind. I incorporate the Lawry’s into many of my cooks and definitely find it great when mixed with my own ingredients such as Costco’s no salt seasoning and Butt Rub. You also hit MSG squarely on the head. It suffered from a lot of bad press but I find its’ use to be a pretty good flavor booster when used properly.

I have 3 of his books also-the most recent one published on BBQ that I can tell is 7 years old (As far as I can tell, his most recent book was on cooking steaks, which I own) Things change. Perhaps he once used S&P only, perhaps not? But in 2022 he has stated that he has/does use Lowery’s on his briskets.

At least one guy that worked for him in the pits said he used S&P and at least GP.

Years ago I got to spend a bunch of time in Texas and the recipe below is what I use for brisket!

Ingredients:

14 T 16 mesh ground pepper
6 T Lawry’s seasoning salt
6 T Kosher Salt
2 T Granulated Garlic

Mix all ingredients and then place in an airtight container, makes 2 cups.
Greg

Grew up using Lawrys, and always had it in my cupboard spice shelf. Then found Cookies Flavor Enhancer and have switched to that for a general all purpose seasoning. I like the flavor from the Cookies better than Lawry's.

I have a beer can chicken on the Bull as I type. And it just happens to be seasoned with Lawry's. Staple my friends, staple.

20220730_152602.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back