Bull Anyone try an LED Light conversion?

samiam

Anyone convert the stock RT-700 halogen light over to an LED bulb? seems like an easy swap and I think these would work. I know these lights get a lot of flack on here, 10 or so cooks in and I use mine all the time. I clean it w/ a little simple green and a microfiber and it seems to come clean just fine. An SOS pad would prob work well too if it is real dirty. Anyway....

And I have put in some time searching and came up empty...(every combo of LED light mod conversion). which leads me to believe maybe it isn't as easy as I'd think?

I've never been a big fan of a light in any grill really and as much as I love my Recteq Bull, I feel no different. Always been to much trouble to keep clean for just a little bit of light. More so now that mine is under a lighted and covered deck.

That said I'd love to hear your feedback on these bulbs @samiam if you give them a go.

Anyone convert the stock RT-700 halogen light over to an LED bulb? seems like an easy swap and I think these would work. I know these lights get a lot of flack on here, 10 or so cooks in and I use mine all the time. I clean it w/ a little simple green and a microfiber and it seems to come clean just fine. An SOS pad would prob work well too if it is real dirty. Anyway....

And I have put in some time searching and came up empty...(every combo of LED light mod conversion). which leads me to believe maybe it isn't as easy as I'd think?
May want to verify, I think you need a G-8 base.🤔
If it is in fact G-8, these will give you 75 watt output as opposed to factory 50 watt. Please verify info, I haven't done this.....Yet and won't be.:D

EDIT: Bad idea, grill is too hot for LED application.
"Most LED lights do not operate well above 70C, and some may suffer junction destruction at/above that temperature… so you should not operate LED lights in environments where the ambient temperature is above 60 to 65C."

Last edited:
I thought a light inside the grill was cool....until I started using the grill.

Works great for 1 or 2 cooks, then you have to clean it. After doing that a couple of times....it's now as black as the rest of the inside of the grill.

Now I use a flashlight.

I thought a light inside the grill was cool....until I started using the grill.

Works great for 1 or 2 cooks, then you have to clean it. After doing that a couple of times....it's now as black as the rest of the inside of the grill.

Now I use a flashlight.
I use a Miller Lite
miller-lite-12oz-can-30pk.jpg

To wash the Jack down 😁

May want to verify, I think you need a G-8 base.🤔
If it is in fact G-8, these will give you 75 watt output as opposed to factory 50 watt. Please verify info, I haven't done this.....Yet and won't be.:D

EDIT: Bad idea, grill is too hot for LED application.
"Most LED lights do not operate well above 70C, and some may suffer junction destruction at/above that temperature… so you should not operate LED lights in environments where the ambient temperature is above 60 to 65C."
Good catch! The plastic body and microprocessors prob won’t fair well. @chadinsc i like the barkeepers friend idea. I totally can see it polishing over time.

Did you try those bulbs?

Received the light the other day. Seems well made, has a push button on/off switch on the top. 2 things I don't care for - 1. the cord could have been routed through the base but exits out just above the base. 2. the power is via a ac/dc plugin at the end of the cord but there is a male/female disconnect inline.

Light.jpg

What is the voltage of the wires going to the light switch? 12v dc or 115 volt ac? I like the idea of mounting an external LED light somewhere near or on the controller and utilizing the factory light switch that I don’t use anymore. The factory light is useless unless you clean it continuously. I’ll post a light mod after i get my shelf put in.

Last edited:
What is the voltage of the wires going to the light switch? 12v dc or 115 volt ac? I like the idea of mounting an external LED light somewhere near or on the controller and utilizing the factory light switch that I don’t use anymore. The factory light is useless unless you clean it continuously. I’ll post a light mod after i get my shelf put in.
Gotta be DC because of the wall wart.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back