Stampede Any hacks for cold smoking on RT-590?

Riggijc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Has anybody had any success cold smoking cheese on RT-590? I.e. ice in a pan?

Agree with the smoke tube. Also, you can run just the fan in test mode for air circulation. You want to keep the chamber temp low...for sure below 90. A pan full of ice can help.

Yep, below 90°. No heat needed. Haven't used the fan, but fine idea.

Plindmark said this in another thread:

“If you put the grill into test mode, you can turn the fan on and it will run until you turn it off. You do this by holding the setting button down with the power off until the display screen comes on. Then hit the power button five times to get to the fan test mode and the fan should then come on. It will stay on as long as you are on that screen. If you leave that screen the fan will shut off.

I was also hoping to have the internal grill temperature show at the same time. Which isn't exactly possible, but you can check the temp by cycling to the temp screen in test mode by hitting the power button several more times but it will shut the fan off until you go back to the fan setting. It will probably be easier to just set up an temperature probe in the grill and monitor the internal temp to make sure it doesn't get too high via a separate unit.”

You might also want to partially block the vents to keep all that smoke in the box.
What are you cold smoking? I have only cold smoked cheese and it needs to be smoked when it's cold outside. For cheese the box temp needs to stay under 90°. Preferably colder than that. I smoke cheese in the fall or winter.

Cheese is what I wanted to try. I’m in Texas so I’ll wait a few months before trying when temps drop.

Any particular cheeses or cook times you have had success with?

Ps. Love this forum. You guys are great!

I’ve smoked cheddar, jack, mozzarella, Swiss and colby jack. They all turned out really good. I have smoked for 3 hours and 4 hours. The 4 hour smoke was colder out so I let it sit in the smoker a little longer. After I took the cheese out I refrigerated it in ziplock bags to cool. They will some time develop condemnation so the next day I pat them down with paper towels. After about a week I vacuum seal them. Don’t eat it for about a month. The smoke flavor needs to mellow.
I cut the cheese into 1 inch thick slices and space them about a 1/2” apart. After a couple hours I turn them.
Also, don't completely block the vents. You'll need to allow some heat to escape.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back