Another source for pellets

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I’ve been looking for a local source of Lumberjack Hickory pellets. None of the usual “big-box” outlets carried them. In checking the Lumberjack website and using their dealer locator, I found a local restaurant supply store listed. Hmmmm, never thought about checking there. They had them in stock (apparently, a couple of local BBQ places use them) and I picked up a bag yesterday. The price was way cheaper than what Amazon wanted; $13.75 plus sales tax for a 20# bag.

I also discovered that my local Safeway grocery store now stocks my favorite Kingsford 100% Hickory pellets. They were sale-priced at $10.95 for a 20# bag too.

Lesson learned; when looking for pellets, think outside the “big box!”

BidFTA, I've found Kingsford on average $6 a 20lb bag. You do have to bid. Also have picked up 4*5lb bags for under $5 at times.
I’ve never heard of that site, but it appears that you have to pick up the items you “win” at their warehouse. The closest one to me is about 1K miles, so not very convenient. ;)

I think I’ll stick with my local Safeway store; its 3 miles down the road.

You have any Rural King by you or Farm and Fleet? I've started to use the Rural King brand(no name brand) that is $7.99 for 20 lbs. They have been working just fine. They used to sell lumber jack but appears they may not be any longer. Costco has a blend I heard was selling for like $13 for 40 lbs that works well also.

But yeah, if I didn't have any of these options, no doubt think outside the box. Another option is try to find some other pellet grillers near you and do a group buy to lumber jack or another brand.

I was buying from a cookinpellets from a guy who would drive up to Wisconsin and pick up a pallet himself and he used to charge me 50 cents a lb if I bought 3 - 40 lb bags but cookinpellets made him(from what he said) raise his prices(at least what he advertises). And while I do think they make great pellets, I've never noticed a big difference between pellets. There is a difference between them all but coralation to the price? Not usually to me. The one pellets I noticed a noticable difference of getting my bullseye hotter faster was the charcoal pellets by royal Oak but those sell for around $1 a lb which is pricey. I use those for my smoke tube.

I've read somewhere that the Rural King brand pellets are re-branded LJ pellets. That's why you don't see them anymore at RK.

I've read somewhere that the Rural King brand pellets are re-branded LJ pellets. That's why you don't see them anymore at RK.
That has been discussed on several occasions on this forum. Certain RK reps have said that they are one and the same while LJ denies it. Having picked up several bags a few weeks back when they were on sale I can say that there is a noticeable difference in the appearance of the pellets - the RK pellets are thicker than the LJ. That being said, I have not had a chance to try them myself. I have seen quite a few positive reviews from other members. I plan to add my feedback once I do a cook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back