Stampede Another Noob Texas Smoker

ohredwood

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Well I should say pellet smoker since I got dabbled a bit in cigar smoking a few years ago, lol.
I enjoy a good smoked meat for BBQ, not over bearing but a nice smoked taste. I use to do it on my smokey joe little smoker down in Houston years ago. I enjoyed the taste, I learned a few lessons over the years, and when I moved, I tossed the cheap little, rusted, grill in the trash because I also got a taste of the all the time and work involved in it that I wasn't interest in doing again. Soaking wood chunks in water, getting the grill up to temp, enough charcoal, too much and you run hot for a while, not enough air holes in grill, needed to add more, not enough charcoal, and you lose the heat, takes longer, add more, on and on. blehhhhh.

But I did miss the smokey taste so I talked to guys at work and couple have the RT Bull, love it. Another guy, said I wasn't really smoking, if I wasn't adding wood, I might as well get an easy bake over, lol. Whatever.....

Found out, I guess I need electricity to run this thing, well crap, no outlets on my tiny back porch, lol. I guess I better run one so GFCI installed last weekend. Out of excuses now.
I've been lurking on the board a few weeks reading all the posts I could, and what made sense for me. The only down fall I could really find was the diffuser on these newer smokers seems to blow, lots of complaints of warpage, and tilting pans. I'll figure it out, with either a after market diffuser of I will screw some plate steel strips on it to give rigidity. Also the vents on the 590 seem kind of cheesy, but I've got an idea on that.

For me, I ended up ordering the Stampede. I wanted to convince myself to get the Bull, 700, it's only a couple hundred more but I just couldn't. For 6 more inches, a light, it would just be a waste of extra real estate, since it's just me, and my girl friend when she comes over. No big families, no big entertaining, etc. If we have family or guests come out to visit, we go to her place anyway since her house is bigger and has a great back deck/patio. The extra warranty is always nice though.

So mid next weekish, I assume the 590 ought to be here, I also bought some accessories from them and 3rd party. This will a whole new experience for me, so gotta lot of learning to do, looking forward to it.

Well I should say pellet smoker since I got dabbled a bit in cigar smoking a few years ago, lol.
I enjoy a good smoked meat for BBQ, not over bearing but a nice smoked taste. I use to do it on my smokey joe little smoker down in Houston years ago. I enjoyed the taste, I learned a few lessons over the years, and when I moved, I tossed the cheap little, rusted, grill in the trash because I also got a taste of the all the time and work involved in it that I wasn't interest in doing again. Soaking wood chunks in water, getting the grill up to temp, enough charcoal, too much and you run hot for a while, not enough air holes in grill, needed to add more, not enough charcoal, and you lose the heat, takes longer, add more, on and on. blehhhhh.
But I did miss the smokey taste so I talked to guys at work and couple have the RT Bull, love it. Another guy, said I wasn't really smoking, if I wasn't adding wood, I might as well get an easy bake over, lol. Whatever.....
Found out, I guess I need electricity to run this thing, well crap, no outlets on my tiny back porch, lol. I guess I better run one so GFCI installed last weekend. Out of excuses now.
I've been lurking on the board a few weeks reading all the posts I could, and what made sense for me. The only down fall I could really find was the diffuser on these newer smokers seems to blow, lots of complaints of warpage, and tilting pans. I'll figure it out, with either a after market diffuser of I will screw some plate steel strips on it to give rigidity. Also the vents on the 590 seem kind of cheesy, but I've got an idea on that.
For me, I ended up ordering the Stampede. I wanted to convince myself to get the Bull, 700, it's only a couple hundred more but I just couldn't. For 6 more inches, a light, it would just be a waste of extra real estate, since it's just me, and my girl friend when she comes over. No big families, no big entertaining, etc. If we have family or guests come out to visit, we go to her place anyway since her house is bigger and has a great back deck/patio. The extra warranty is always nice though.
So mid next weekish, I assume the 590 ought to be here, I also bought some accessories from them and 3rd party. This will a whole new experience for me, so gotta lot of learning to do, looking forward to it.
Welcome to the forum and Rec Tec Have fun. ??

Dont stress about the plate, most including me that it happened too, find no ill effects. First use it as is, then after a few cooks decides if you want more / different / etc.

Welcome and good choice! I had the same thoughts between the two grills. seems our thought process were the same. remember Horns in! :cool:

love the backstory. I just ordered my 590 also. What accessories? All the ones I wanted were sold out until June (front shelf, interior shelf, grill grates etc). I ordered some lumberjack pellets from basspro today and a smoke tube from amazon today also... what necessities did you get that i'm missing? :)

There has been a huge buying spree on pellet grills, smokers and gas grills due to the stay at home stuff going. So many accessories are bought up and the supply chain from China just getting started back up.

love the backstory. I just ordered my 590 also. What accessories? All the ones I wanted were sold out until June (front shelf, interior shelf, grill grates etc). I ordered some lumberjack pellets from basspro today and a smoke tube from amazon today also... what necessities did you get that i'm missing? :)
Well, a lot has changed since I used my little smokey joe, so for the accessories I ordered quite a few, especially with the 20% off sales, might as well include it with the shipping free.
I ordered also the sear kit, the 200lb of pellets, the front folding shelf, a cover since it will be out in the back patio texas sun, small interior shelf. I also wanted to try the mesh cooking mat, see how that would work for vegetables and such. I also threw on the competition cart, for the beefy wheels, in case I elect later to keep it in garage and roll it out front instead of my back patio, I also expect to move down the road so the legs and wheels will be up to the task. The last thing I ordered was not from RecTec but a Thermapen mk4 temperature probe. Seems those things are quite popular and as opposed to me just guessing how it looks, feels with a fork, now I can actually tell if it's ready or not, whether on my Weber or on my new RecTec. I forgot, I also ordered that amazen smoke tube off amazon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back