A day on the Rec Tec

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,
So last night my wife had her family and close family friends over for Passover dinner, and I was given the task to prepare the mains for the dinner. Because brisket is a tradition with her family, I needed to include brisket as part of the offerings. Now, I do not like brisket the way her family normally prepares it (braised which comes out a lot like pot roast), but I LOVE when I cook brisket on the RT. I decided on brisket and a lemon tarragon marinated chicken breast as mains. Since it was Good Friday, I had to come up with a non-meat dish for myself and my mother (of course anyone was able to have the fish as well). Came up with making a panko crusted take on Broiled Boston Scrod using tilapia as the fish to be baked in the oven. Found out way late in the game the entire oven was going to be used for making the sides, so had to re-group.

I have never in the years I have had the RT used it as an oven, but there is a first for everything. Once the brisket was done to a perfect 205 internal (both by temp test and by probe softness test), the brisket went into FTC for a few hours to rest. RT fired up to 450 to get ready for the fish. Ran out of room so the chicken was grilled on my gasser.

Sorry the pictures are not great....still need that photography class, but here is the result of the dinner. I did not get pictures of the chicken at all...ugh. All in all, the three dishes came out outstanding according to our guest. I can attest to the fact the fish was outstanding, and the visuals of the brisket (might look dry in the picture, but was as moist as a brisket can be) and chicken were spot on. Dinner was a success. I will be having brisket sammies for lunch today to ensure guest were not just being kind with the praises.....hahahaha.

Brisket on Pit.JPG

Brisket on the pit at 7am at 225

Sliced Brisket.JPG

Brisket sliced after reaching internal of 205 and FTC for 2.5 hours

Fish on Pit.JPG

Fish going on pit at 450 for about 15 minutes (could have gone just a tad longer to get more browning on the panko

Fish Completed.JPG

Fish off the pit after 15 minutes at 450 (I did check progress a few times to ensure panko was not burning)

Ya done good brother, three entrees and all guests happy.

On the photo, your camera or phone should have a setting for "forced flash", often looks like a lightning bolt, that will fill the dark space with light that improves the photo.

Do you heat the food up again before you serve it after it rests for a few hours?

The brisket if FTC (wrapped in foil and then with towels in a cooler) stays extremely hot for hours. No need to heat again. Something like the fish is cook and serve right away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewDualfire1200
Back