700F on the 1250? Sear better?

Fatboy5150

Hey all I'm leaning towards replacing my 8 yr old Green Mountain grill with a rectec 1250. I've watched numerous YouTube videos and done other research and really can't find anyone talking about the fact that the 1250 is advertised as being able to go to 700゚ versus the 700 only going to 500゚. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the higher heat spec and whether it makes a difference in terms of searing or other factors I haven't considered???

IMHO, you will never really get a good sear on a pellet grill. I only have a 700, so perhaps a 1250 owner can chime in.

I consider these grills a jack of all trades, master of none device.

I use my Blackstone griddle to sear steaks. I love that thing and actually cook on it more than the RT lately.

IMO it takes to long to get to searing temp. Blackstone or torch much easier option

You can get a great sear on a stock RT-700, especially when using GrillGrates. Two steaks cooked on the RT-700, one on the flat side and the other on the ribbed side. GrillGrate temp nearly 700°.

6DB81547-2FA2-442F-A78E-27ABE9C8C4F2.jpeg
8AE5E34D-EB10-46ED-96A9-D373EE37925D.jpeg
8AE5E34D-EB10-46ED-96A9-D373EE37925D.jpeg
766C16FA-BD06-403F-9D8C-ADA24259BF7E.jpeg
B6618CC8-6562-4DE0-A5D3-550841E74869.jpeg

We're looking at getting an induction plate for searing and outdoor skillet or pan cooking.

Takes too long for me to get my 700 up to high temps for searing, if I can get it there at all.

I used my Weber kettle at first.

Then I bought a Bullseye. It heats up fast and sears just fine...

3V0l7Kml.jpg

Hey all I'm leaning towards replacing my 8 yr old Green Mountain grill with a rectec 1250. I've watched numerous YouTube videos and done other research and really can't find anyone talking about the fact that the 1250 is advertised as being able to go to 700゚ versus the 700 only going to 500゚. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the higher heat spec and whether it makes a difference in terms of searing or other factors I haven't considered???
To answer your question, both are like cooking in an oven. Yes, you can put your steak directly on a surface like a searing plate (Grill Grates, etc) that is pre-heated. It works. But to me, it seems like the long way around to get a great steak. I prefer to just build a small charcoal fire in a very convenient setup I have. I can have the charcoal blazing and ready before my RT700 can heat up that much and I get a better quality steak off a charcoal fire.

As for the RT700 temperature, I measured mine using RecTeq pellets and it topped out at 490F and took quite a while to get there. Here's a chart showing the OEM (1.6 rpm) vs a 2 rpm auger motor.

I believe the RT1250 has a 3 rpm motor. Guys are putting 3 rpm motors in their 700s. But it comes with some drawbacks. The low temperature stability has been an issue with most.
Rectec OEM 1.6 rpm vs 2.0 rpm auger motor.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. After a lot of research I am leaning towards the Bullseye now. I realized 95% of the time I am only cooking for 2 people and don't need all the square inches. Plus at the price of a Bullseye it's not a huge investment/risk....

After all the discussion I've read here, I think I'd lean towards a 590 and a cheap gas grill instead of trying to get the Bullseye to do everything.

I have a 1250 and GG. It gets to 500 in about 15 mins. I haven't tried to get it to 700 because I don't see a need. 500-550 with GG which is 100 degrees hotter and you will get a great sear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back