Stampede 590 Fail - again - not happy RT!

sel1005

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
bought a 590 earlier this year. worked OK for a few times then igniter went out. called support, sent parts, got working again.

off and on over the summer, grill would take FOREVER to light. Ended up I could only set temp on low to light, otherwise, wasting time.

8-10 cooks later, grill has failed totally! igniter not working, auger not working.

had a ton of wings to distribute tomorrow, seasoned them, fired up the grill - LOL - nada, zippo. Fan ran, added some pellets to the fire box, igniter kicked them off after 15 min of running, but then BOTH the igniter and the auger / feed mech failed. Temp got to 103, then started dropping off. Zero other than fan. No pellets coming in, nada.

And before you comment - I have never used anything but RecTeq pellets!!!!

So, wings now in the kitchen oven, will take hours to bake up but what the heck, thanks Rec Teq for ruining a great New Years Eve plan!

Guess a call to support will be done next week to see what else this grill needs to work as advertised; definitely NOT impressed so far.

fuse? plug ie extension cord? outlet good?

or is you auger clogged? sounds to me like auger is clogged, i was a pro at clogging the auger on my 680. tho 680 is a lot easyer to unclog the 590 dosnt look fun to remove the auger.

mine would clog if i left it out in the weather to long without the cover on.

These are pretty simple to diagnose. Controller board manages temp control via auger motor fans, sensor probe and igniter. If electrical connection is good and pellet flow unblocked then you should see ignition and pellet feed by watching firebox. If that is not happening then work backwords to troubleshoot. Are all wiring connections in place to controller? Is temp sensor wiring connection ok? Have pellets gotten wet? If so auger could be obstructed. Igniters of this type tend to be very reliable so its surprising youve already replaced one. Sounds like a controller or wiring failure. Recteq support will take care of you.

8-10 cooks later, grill has failed totally! igniter not working, auger not working.
I assume you've already used the "Test Mode" to verified both the auger and igniter don't come on?
test mode.JPG

bought a 590 earlier this year. worked OK for a few times then igniter went out. called support, sent parts, got working again.

off and on over the summer, grill would take FOREVER to light. Ended up I could only set temp on low to light, otherwise, wasting time.

had a ton of wings to distribute tomorrow, seasoned them, fired up the grill - LOL - nada, zippo. Fan ran, added some pellets to the fire box, igniter kicked them off after 15 min of running, but then BOTH the igniter and the auger / feed mech failed. Temp got to 103, then started dropping off. Zero other than fan. No pellets coming in, nada.

And before you comment - I have never used anything but RecTeq pellets!!!!

So, wings now in the kitchen oven, will take hours to bake up but what the heck, thanks Rec Teq for ruining a great New Years Eve plan!

Guess a call to support will be done next week to see what else this grill needs to work as advertised; definitely NOT impressed so far.

Same issues here. The temp swings are insane for no reason at all. Bought the blanket for my 700 and no difference. Mines 4 years old and between replacing the igniter, the fan , changing the auger speed through customer service help and still having intermittent temp problems to low with a forever recovery time or to hot and ruining your food, I’m done with Recteq. I’m going back to a briquette type smoker. A little more inconvenient but I can’t get any to come over anymore if they know I’m smoking. Today was a 150.00 snake river farm prime prime rib.
This smoker pissed me off for the last time, I’ll put it in the oven to finish and enjoy by myself about 10:30 tonight

4th. of July with family. I'm the man of the hour, the grill guy. I turned on my 590 early because it takes awhile to get up to temp. Well after 20 minutes I went back out to check and nothing. Long story short, I took grate, drip pan, heat shield, off only to discover the burn pot was running over with pellets. SIGH! I had read this forum before and I had that sinking feeling that the igniter decided that this was the time to fail to get the most embarrassment on me. After some tinkering with people putting in their thoughts on what the problem was I just shut the lid and my wife had to cook on the stove. (All while giving me that "You spent $ 1200.00 on this grill" look) I did the test procedure that I found above and the igniter is bad. I've had this grill for a year and a half and use it maybe once a week average when the kids come over. I clean it out after every use. It's always been covered. I use Recteq pellets. I guess Murphey's Law will kick in when you least want it to. On a positive note Recteq is sending me a new one. They also told me that I could have used a torch to light the pellets and then it should have worked just fine. Although that is good to know, I'm not sure that me not coming up with that on my own makes me feel any better. But it does help a little that the rest of the fellas around me didn't come up with it either. :)

4th. of July with family. I'm the man of the hour, the grill guy. I turned on my 590 early because it takes awhile to get up to temp. Well after 20 minutes I went back out to check and nothing. Long story short, I took grate, drip pan, heat shield, off only to discover the burn pot was running over with pellets. SIGH! I had read this forum before and I had that sinking feeling that the igniter decided that this was the time to fail to get the most embarrassment on me. After some tinkering with people putting in their thoughts on what the problem was I just shut the lid and my wife had to cook on the stove. (All while giving me that "You spent $ 1200.00 on this grill" look) I did the test procedure that I found above and the igniter is bad. I've had this grill for a year and a half and use it maybe once a week average when the kids come over. I clean it out after every use. It's always been covered. I use Recteq pellets. I guess Murphey's Law will kick in when you least want it to. On a positive note Recteq is sending me a new one. They also told me that I could have used a torch to light the pellets and then it should have worked just fine. Although that is good to know, I'm not sure that me not coming up with that on my own makes me feel any better. But it does help a little that the rest of the fellas around me didn't come up with
Have you ever read the manual to your grill? I haven't in a while but I think it mentions about how to start fire if igniter fails.

Have you ever read the manual to your grill? I haven't in a while but I think it mentions about how to start fire if igniter fails.
4th. of July with family. I'm the man of the hour, the grill guy. I turned on my 590 early because it takes awhile to get up to temp. Well after 20 minutes I went back out to check and nothing. Long story short, I took grate, drip pan, heat shield, off only to discover the burn pot was running over with pellets. SIGH! I had read this forum before and I had that sinking feeling that the igniter decided that this was the time to fail to get the most embarrassment on me. After some tinkering with people putting in their thoughts on what the problem was I just shut the lid and my wife had to cook on the stove. (All while giving me that "You spent $ 1200.00 on this grill" look) I did the test procedure that I found above and the igniter is bad. I've had this grill for a year and a half and use it maybe once a week average when the kids come over. I clean it out after every use. It's always been covered. I use Recteq pellets. I guess Murphey's Law will kick in when you least want it to. On a positive note Recteq is sending me a new one. They also told me that I could have used a torch to light the pellets and then it should have worked just fine. Although that is good to know, I'm not sure that me not coming up with that on my own makes me feel any better. But it does help a little that the rest of the fellas around me didn't come up with it either. :)
Sometimes just RTFM, it would have saved the day.
Troubleshooting:
In case of igniter failure, you can start your RT-700 manually:
1. Remove the stainless steel grates, drip pan, and heat deflector.
2. Clean out fire pot and place no more than 1/2 cup of pellets in the bottom. Add a small amount of solid fuel fire starter, such as those made from sawdust and wax, or use wood shavings.Tip: A paper towel, shredded cardboard, or shredded newspaper can work as a substitute.If you have a torch lighter, a fire starter is not needed.
3. Light the fire starter.
4. After the pellets are burning briskly, turn on your grill. If your fire goes out, repeat steps 1-4.
5. If your fire stays lit, replace the stainless heat deflector, drip pan, and cooking grates then close the lid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back