Bullseye 590 control for B380?

okie

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
I have a new 590 control that has one faulty meat probe socket. They gave me a new control (when unit was first delivered) but did not ask me to return the damaged unit.
I believe that the control unit for B380 is inferior to the 590 control and thus accounts for the wide temp swings. They had to use cheaper products to produce this grill for the price offered. My question is--Is it worthwhile to try th 590 control to see if it indeed is more stable? It also has WiFi, which, if the temps are stable, would be a plus. I think there is a exterior case for the 590 control that would allow me to just attach it to the hopper case. Because of the smaller dimensions of the 380, I might have to adjust the actual temp/set temp but that would be easy. Any comments or advice?? If successful, this would be a great mod to solve the temp problems, as a replacement module is I think around $150 or less.

no advice but that sounds like a fun project to me. i would attempt it. i would like to get a controller and try to make a 100gallon propane tank pellet grill. future project though

I have a new 590 control that has one faulty meat probe socket. They gave me a new control (when unit was first delivered) but did not ask me to return the damaged unit.
I believe that the control unit for B380 is inferior to the 590 control and thus accounts for the wide temp swings. They had to use cheaper products to produce this grill for the price offered. My question is--Is it worthwhile to try th 590 control to see if it indeed is more stable? It also has WiFi, which, if the temps are stable, would be a plus. I think there is a exterior case for the 590 control that would allow me to just attach it to the hopper case. Because of the smaller dimensions of the 380, I might have to adjust the actual temp/set temp but that would be easy. Any comments or advice?? If successful, this would be a great mod to solve the temp problems, as a replacement module is I think around $150 or less.
It should work just fine.
The biggest obstacle will making it fit.

Interested to hear the results.. might have to get me a Bullseye if this works. I assume the 700 has the same controller.

They guy in this thread used an electrical box to mount the controller on a Traeger. Maybe something would work for the Bullseye (sorry don't have the Bullseye to look at). Controller Mount Mod in Traeger

Last edited:
I thought I've heard of people doing this but then the controller is unable to get to a riot mode of 700 plus and grill maxes out around 650. Curious of the results if you decide to try.

that is a good point. full is limited to 600. but chris found a work around for that i believe, it just takes extra greasy burgers
Yes @chadinsc, you're right.
Simply get about 8 half pound burgers with a minimum of 20% fat and you are well on your way to higher than expected temps.
Glad I could help👍

600 deg may be a good high point on the 380. it’s a smaller cooking chamber.
i’ve done wings whole chickens, steaks, pork chops on mine and i haven’t even used riot mode yet, i believe my highest cook temp was for steaks at 500 deg.

you should take one for the team, try the 590 controller and let us know how it works out from low n slo cooks, 350-375 cooks and maxed out. your have the controller so have at it, very excited to see how it works out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back