Stampede 590 Capacity

lowcountrygamecock

How many boston butts will fit on a 590? I usually cook 2 at a time but occasionally cook 4 in my electric masterbuilt 40". Also have been known to cook 6 racks of ribs but it's usually only 3 at a time. I'm trying to decide between a 590 and a 700. Cost isn't a factor but space is and I really don't have space on the patio for the 700 without making serious changes.

The main difference is that the 700 is about 7" wider cooking area 29" (590) vs. 36" (700). Both cooking areas are 20" deep and 9.5" inside clearance. So roughly one more rack of ribs. The 590 claims 5 racks vs. 700 @ 6 racks. Overall footprint, however the 700 is 12" wider.

Here is what 6 racks of ribs looks like in the 700. It’s tight, next time I’ll use the shelf. I’ve only done two Butts at a time and it could have held a LOT more. I am fairly certain the 590 would hold 4 easily.
1602791114142.jpeg

Here is a pic of two on the grate, one 8#, one 9#. As they cooked they shrunk. The accessory rack was used for a rack of spares on the rack and one below, cooked for a crowd of 20, had left overs. Arranged the way I had them 4 might be tight, but doable. I was being extra cautious to stay over the drip pan because these shed a lot of fat. Two alternatives to getting more on would be to prop them up on their sides rather than the widest direction, then you could get maybe six on. Alternatively they could be cut in half, along side the bone to make the placement more flexible and four butts (8 pieces) would be easy then as well..........plus the bonus of more surface area for bark!
butt 02.JPG
butt 03.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back