3-2-1 not quite right

FTRecTec

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
First time smoking some St Louis ribs today on my Bull using the 3-2-1 method at 225. Went closer to 1.5 on the tail end and rested in foil for another 30 min but it didn’t quite come out right to my liking. I can’t quite put my finger on it though. My wife actually said she thought it was too moist. Blasphemy I know....

Have we gotten used to dry / over cooked ribs? Has anyone gotten better results with a different method or changing temps during the cook?

Here are pics...

Attachments

• EF108B86-5932-4D08-8A9C-6229BC0B2B86.jpeg
    EF108B86-5932-4D08-8A9C-6229BC0B2B86.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 102
  • 60CDECB6-10F5-41E1-93E9-8CD209F8F35E.jpeg
    60CDECB6-10F5-41E1-93E9-8CD209F8F35E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 104
3-2-1 has been my go to for years in my electric. Just did 6 racks for the first time on the Bull and it turned out just the way we like them. I also do 225

I don't rewrap them or rest them.

WWhat did you put in the foil with them for the 2?

It's possible you might have added a bit too much liquid on the wrap. My first batch of ribs on my bull were a bit damp. The next time I did just a light spritz of apple juice from a spray bottle and an easy dusting of brown sugar. That seemed to be just enough moisture. After the last hour unwrapped it was straight to the cutting board and table.

I wonder how undiluted thawed frozen apple juice concentrate would work when wrapping. Too much apple flavoring?

Last edited:
I was using bottled stuff that was from concentrate with 100% real juice. It worked out well, so it seems like you would be OK.

It's possible you might have added a bit too much liquid on the wrap. My first batch of ribs on my bull were a bit damp. The next time I did just a light spritz of apple juice from a spray bottle and an easy dusting of brown sugar. That seemed to be just enough moisture. After the last hour unwrapped it was straight to the cutting board and table.
Thanks @Beach Bum, that sounds likely. Damp is a good word to describe the ribs. I was pretty liberal with the apple juice and have historically been a little hotter with my temps.

I'd try skipping the "resting in foil" when they are done. I think it softens the crust and may lead to them being a bit mushy. I've started doing 45 min on the smoker after the foiling, then painting with some thinned down sauce, then another 15 min or so on the smoker. We're not fans of how greasy the St Louis ribs come out, I need to cook them on the well side and let them dry up a bit. The opposite of how most folks like them.

I'd try skipping the "resting in foil" when they are done. I think it softens the crust and may lead to them being a bit mushy. I've started doing 45 min on the smoker after the foiling, then painting with some thinned down sauce, then another 15 min or so on the smoker. We're not fans of how greasy the St Louis ribs come out, I need to cook them on the well side and let them dry up a bit. The opposite of how most folks like them.
@padlin00 How you like your ribs is how we like them too. Thanks for the tip!

I use this method all of the time for St. Louis style. I will only use paper instead of foil with only about an ounce of Apple juice. More than that and with paper it's messy. Plus, it seems that with more liquid added it turns into braising and softens things up too much. I will lightly tent over when done for about a 15-20 min rest.

Reheated some of these leftover ribs on the Bullseye today. 250F for about 25min. They were amazing. It’s like they needed to dry out in the fridge overnight then a little reheat did it right....

First time smoking some St Louis ribs today on my Bull using the 3-2-1 method at 225. Went closer to 1.5 on the tail end and rested in foil for another 30 min but it didn’t quite come out right to my liking. I can’t quite put my finger on it though. My wife actually said she thought it was too moist. Blasphemy I know....

Have we gotten used to dry / over cooked ribs? Has anyone gotten better results with a different method or changing temps during the cook?
Try the TEST KITCHEN “ribs on a pellet grill”
I add the South Carolina sauce (thin vinegar type) as my only change.
Ribs come out of the foil falling off the bone if not careful, then 1-1.5 hours at 275 and bark up nice and are super juicy on the inside.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back