Stampede I can't be the only one, right?

Bdhasson_73

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So for the second time in maybe 3 months the Hopper starved the auger and lost temp. By the time the app alerts hit me it was below 150°. I still had enough pellets that when I leveled them out I was even with the safety grate. I only had a total of about 2 hours left for ribs (1 hr wrapped, then the final hour). Sinceit had cooled I went ahead and clearedout the ignition cup, as I had to ensurethe pelletswere feeding anyway. Not really sure what correctiveactions I need to take to prevent this again. It delayed the cook probably an hour and was just frustrating. I only have used the Ultimate blend pellets but added the Kingsford hickory for my last 2 cooks. Both are recommended by RT for use.

Did you take the grate out of the hopper? look on the forums, there was a thread about people having trouble with a certain brand that the pellets were larger than most.

I've never had the auger staved of pellets. I did take the "safety" grate out before I ever used the grill. I also put a few coats of synthetic auto paint sealant on the walls of the hopper to aid in the pellets sliding down.

Did you have the hopper at least 1/3 full of pellets? If I'm doing a longer cook, I make sure there are well more then enough pellets in the hopper.

The same thing happen to me yesterday. Sort of. I had the starved the auger, but my hopper was full. I checked everything today and all was fine. I'm wondering if I get a pellet bridge at the auger tube? I see the temp drop, but most of the time it corrects it's self. Didn't yesterday. I'm wondering if I need to bump the hopper when I see the temp drop. The hopper and the pellets are dry. Using REC TEC perfect mix.

Did you take the grate out of the hopper? look on the forums, there was a thread about people having trouble with a certain brand that the pellets were larger than most.
No, didn't remover the safety grate. The hopper was almost 3/4 before yesterday's cook, then today (when I had the issue) I topped it off to over 1/2 full. It was like they didn't fall down. I hesitate to remove the grate as I live about 15 minutes from FT and if there is a warranty issue I want to be able to get that support. I just wondered if I was maybe doing something wrong.

No, didn't remover the safety grate. The hopper was almost 3/4 before yesterday's cook, then today (when I had the issue) I topped it off to over 1/2 full. It was like they didn't fall down. I hesitate to remove the grate as I live about 15 minutes from FT and if there is a warranty issue I want to be able to get that support. I just wondered if I was maybe doing something wrong.
The hopper is held in with a few screws (not telling you to remove the grate) but if you're concerned with warranty, just put the grate back in.

Has anyone had issues removing the screws? Mine feel like they're held in with loctite as I've almost rounded out the heads out trying to remove them.

Has anyone had issues removing the screws? Mine feel like they're held in with loctite as I've almost rounded out the heads out trying to remove them.
Maybe a little RTV??

If I remember correctly, a #2 Phillips with the tip in excellent condition at the correct angle with high down force and they should break loose. I remember them being tight, but with proper technique, they came right out. After the grate is removed, reinstall the screws to fill the holes.

If I remember correctly, a #2 Phillips with the tip in excellent condition at the correct angle with high down force and they should break loose. I remember them being tight, but with proper technique, they came right out. After the grate is removed, reinstall the screws to fill the holes.
Sometimes this helps. Try tightening the screw first and then reverse to remove.

The same thing happen to me yesterday. Sort of. I had the starved the auger, but my hopper was full. I checked everything today and all was fine. I'm wondering if I get a pellet bridge at the auger tube? I see the temp drop, but most of the time it corrects it's self. Didn't yesterday. I'm wondering if I need to bump the hopper when I see the temp drop. The hopper and the pellets are dry. Using REC TEC perfect mix.
I could actually see all the way down to the auger opening. The pellets just weren't falling. I think I will do a complete cleaning and find some food grade silicone lube to help it feed better.

My hopper was full. Couldn't see the auger opening. If I could have I would have pushed the pellets down to the auger. Problem solved. In my case I must have had a static bridge above the auger tube. My solution is to watch the temp drops, and when one happen I'm going to bump the hopper to break the bridge. Will that fix it? No but it'll show me what's happening. I'll go from there.

Got off the phone with Rec Teq support. The guy I talked too also though I had static bridge above the auger tube. He had no real suggestions. I'm going to do as I had said. Monitor the temp drops and bump the hopper when it happens. I'll have to see if that works. If that works I think I'll get some good paste wax and wax the hopper. That might just help.

Hello everyone, I own a bull and a trialblazer and 2 bullseyes, I had an auger jam using RT brand pellets in my 700 and as a newbi I wanted to stay with RT brand all the way. I bought a bag of Pitboss competition blend and compared the pellets and found RT had some 2 inches long, one of which caught in the auger at the tube and jammed it, Pitboss were consistently around 1/2" long. I use Pitboss now inall my RT's with no problems. 😊

The bigger concern here is the app is now extremely slow in updating temps and sending out warning.
Twice I have almost ruined a cook because I was not notified of a temp issue
The older android version was much better. Wish I could reload that version

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back