3-2-1 Method with Temperatures

AlphaPapa

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Has anyone done the 3-2-1 method with ribs using internal temperatures as a guide rather than time? If so…
  • What type of ribs?
  • What was your wrap temperature?
  • What was your unwrap temperature?
  • What was your finish temperature?
Thanks!

I wrap in the high 150’s to low 160’s.
unwrap temp is a bit of a mystery, I unwrap when in the high 190’s, which is also pretty much the finished temp, except that the temp drops after being unwrapped for some reason, so when it goes back up to high 190’s again I start probing for done which is high 190’s to very low 200’s.

Very good. Thanks! I noticed the drop in temp after the unwrap, too.

3-2-1 is NO BUENO!!! Don’t ruin a great cook trying to replicate something that has been proven to be inaccurate. If you are looking for temperatures to determine when to wrap, good luck as you can easily miss the target. For your best chance of success I suggest:
1 - Look for good bark formation, when present and nice looking its time to wrap.
2 - Look for tenderness. After you wrap you will typically look for tenderness by using the bend test. Using your tongs hold the rack at about the 3 bone location and see if it bends at a decent angle towards the ground.
3 - Sauce and put back on the grill until the sauce gets tacky. (I actually like to use my sear burner to put a little char on mine.)

Edit: Here are the answers to your other questions:
Type: Baby Back (Pork Loin)
Temp: 235F
Wrap and Finish Temps - Whenever the ribs say they are ready (lol).

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Last edited:
Missed the “type of ribs“ question, for us it’s spares in a St Louis cut, and BB’s, I do them both the same. The BB’s I always wrap, the SL are about 50/50. I don’t use foil, just pink paper.

I have been chasing "the perfect rib" for almost 60 years. Stick Burners, Propane Burners, Green Eggs, now Pellet Grills. I am serious about the number of years. When asked my life goals, it has always been things like World Peace,, Monetary Security, Good Health, Happiness etc, but always then ends with "oh yeah, and to cook the perfect rib. :)

Rib truths: Doneness is when the ribs tell you they are done. This means probing for "pass through" feel, using the bend test and/or its cousin the twist test. Color and pull back are also right there as part of confirmation. If a rack is passing those tests, it is done.

Done is not the only point to consider. What kind of "bite" do you want from your done ribs. Are you a "fall off the bone" type guy and how much "fall off the bone" do mean when you say it. I have eaten ribs where you can't lift them by the bone. Fork only. Do you want to feel the meat as you bite through it and have some texture in the "chew"? Sorry, but remember I have been considering this for almost 60 years.

For me, I use 275 degrees as my "rib standard" with no wrapping at any point. It doesn't matter what I am using to cook them (sticks, charcoal, pellets, or propane). Time and Temperature are my keys.

I like and use Pecan for all Pork (unless going for a specific regional trait). My son gets furious because he asks me for temps for doneness and I tell him I have no idea, I have never checked them.

At 275, these are the approximate cooking times that I plan on. (note: I pull the membrane on all my pork ribs, but not my beef ribs)
Baby Back Ribs: 3 - 3.5 hours.
St Louis Trim Spare Ribs: 4 - 4.5 hours.
Full on Spare Ribs with the breast plate and all the bits 6 - 7 hours.

Everyone will find the way that suits them the best. These are the truths for me when I do ribs. I forgot to mention that I do use Cheap Yellow Mustard as a binder on all my ribs. (wouldn't want to be found withholding a key perfect rib technique).
I also tend to finish as a Dry Memphis finished rib. Table sauce can be added at serving time. Give them 2 or 3 choices.

Hope this is useful.
v/r r

Have you had perfect ribs yet, even if cooked by someone else? Are you close and they could always be just a little bit better next time?

Yes, I can and do now make what I consider to be perfect ribs.

I should "re-state" this more correctly. I make a rib that is the perfect doneness and finish for my tastes and almost every time.

I make a really good "dry finish" rib. It bites and chews but leaves a "clean" bone. When the folks are "sucking the bones" as they finish each one, they are good ribs.

I love these ribs and so do my kids and grandkids. Neighbors always seem willing to take any that are available and people seem to be willing to show up to eat when invited.

I am still searching for more and different perfect ribs. I admit to being blind to other finishes besides my version of Memphis "Dry". I need to explore sauces and finishes further.

I love a good "sticky" rib but never cook them myself.
This answers Smokes question about OPR's (other peoples ribs).
I love all ribs.

v/r r

3-2-1 is NO BUENO!!! Don’t ruin a great cook trying to replicate something that has been proven to be inaccurate. If you are looking for temperatures to determine when to wrap, good luck as you can easily miss the target. For your best chance of success I suggest:
1 - Look for good bark formation, when present and nice looking its time to wrap.
2 - Look for tenderness. After you wrap you will typically look for tenderness by using the bend test. Using your tongs hold the rack at about the 3 bone location and see if it bends at a decent angle towards the ground.
3 - Sauce and put back on the grill until the sauce gets tacky. (I actually like to use my sear burner to put a little char on mine.)

Edit: Here are the answers to your other questions:
Type: Baby Back (Pork Loin)
Temp: 235F
Wrap and Finish Temps - Whenever the ribs say they are ready (lol).

Just my opinion. YMMV.
How does it ruin them? It makes fall off the bone rides exactly like the recipe says. I've never had a bad cook ever using it, my kids hate having to chew meat off the bone. I don't care either way as the flavor is the same.

Reactions: PRC
How does it ruin them? It makes fall off the bone rides exactly like the recipe says. I've never had a bad cook ever using it, my kids hate having to chew meat off the bone. I don't care either way as the flavor is the same.

Show me one legit BBQ joint, that makes fall off the bone ribs? When ribs are like that, might as well make a porkbutt. My 2 cents is all, however cook and enjoy food the way you like it. :)

Show me one legit BBQ joint, that makes fall off the bone ribs? When ribs are like that, might as well make a porkbutt. My 2 cents is all, however cook and enjoy food the way you like it. :)
I have to agree, "Fall off the bone" (meaning you cant use the bone to pick it up), is just bleh, it's mushy. You might as well steam/boil them at that point. There should be a "tug" to take the meat off the bone, and the consistency shouldn't be fall apart (pulled pork), that's over cooked.

I have been chasing "the perfect rib" for almost 60 years. Stick Burners, Propane Burners, Green Eggs, now Pellet Grills. I am serious about the number of years. When asked my life goals, it has always been things like World Peace,, Monetary Security, Good Health, Happiness etc, but always then ends with "oh yeah, and to cook the perfect rib. :)

Rib truths: Doneness is when the ribs tell you they are done. This means probing for "pass through" feel, using the bend test and/or its cousin the twist test. Color and pull back are also right there as part of confirmation. If a rack is passing those tests, it is done.

Done is not the only point to consider. What kind of "bite" do you want from your done ribs. Are you a "fall off the bone" type guy and how much "fall off the bone" do mean when you say it. I have eaten ribs where you can't lift them by the bone. Fork only. Do you want to feel the meat as you bite through it and have some texture in the "chew"? Sorry, but remember I have been considering this for almost 60 years.

For me, I use 275 degrees as my "rib standard" with no wrapping at any point. It doesn't matter what I am using to cook them (sticks, charcoal, pellets, or propane). Time and Temperature are my keys.

I like and use Pecan for all Pork (unless going for a specific regional trait). My son gets furious because he asks me for temps for doneness and I tell him I have no idea, I have never checked them.

At 275, these are the approximate cooking times that I plan on. (note: I pull the membrane on all my pork ribs, but not my beef ribs)
Baby Back Ribs: 3 - 3.5 hours.
St Louis Trim Spare Ribs: 4 - 4.5 hours.
Full on Spare Ribs with the breast plate and all the bits 6 - 7 hours.

Everyone will find the way that suits them the best. These are the truths for me when I do ribs. I forgot to mention that I do use Cheap Yellow Mustard as a binder on all my ribs. (wouldn't want to be found withholding a key perfect rib technique).
I also tend to finish as a Dry Memphis finished rib. Table sauce can be added at serving time. Give them 2 or 3 choices.

Hope this is useful.
v/r r
I have been only "learning" to make my perfect rib for about half the time you have (30 years give or take), but I find it amazing I am in agreement with everything you said here, and in fact do it almost exactly the same, (with the exception I prefer a wet/sticky rib with a sauce, and I set my temp at 250°.

Everyone can choose (and cook) ribs to their desired degree of tenderness. My statement was only highlighting the fact that if you are using a stopwatch/timer to cook ribs which 3-2-1 implies, you won’t get consistent results. Proteins are so different from animal to animal (e.g., size/weight, density, pre-cooked tenderness, marbling, etc.) so 6 hours is only a guesstimate someone concocted. In theory, they don’t even specify the type of ribs, the size of ribs and other factors that can influence the outcome such as how and how long you dry rub, and what temperature the racks start at for the cook. As someone that has actually slaughtered pigs/hogs, taken a fresh killed rack, seasoning it, and putting it on a grill, is/was different than taking a rack out of the refrigerator that was cryogenically sealed (frozen), for months then thawed. When you throw in temperature fluctuations and the fact that every 3 pack of ribs I’ve ever purchased had 2 racks of similar size and one rack that looked smaller, especially at the ends, the timer won’t be very helpful in my opinion. To illustrate this concept, do each of the exhibits below use the same 3-2-1 method if you were cooking just the ribs? The pictures represent my recent cooks. The hog was almost 200lbs and the ribs were about 20lbs each. The trimmed ribs were approximately 10lbs each and came from Costco. The piglet was a Fermin suckling variety around 70lbs pre-butchered with ribs that weighed around 6lbs each. However, I will definitely monitor this thread and increase my knowledge on this matter as others continue to share.

YMMV.

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg

IMG_8480.jpeg

IMG_9067.jpeg

"Fall off the bone" just falls off the lips. I think that's why it has become a popular marketing term. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the finish.

Everyone can choose (and cook) ribs to their desired degree of tenderness. My statement was only highlighting the fact that if you are using a stopwatch/timer to cook ribs which 3-2-1 implies, you won’t get consistent results. Proteins are so different from animal to animal (e.g., size/weight, density, pre-cooked tenderness, marbling, etc.) so 6 hours is only a guesstimate someone concocted. In theory, they don’t even specify the type of ribs, the size of ribs and other factors that can influence the outcome such as how and how long you dry rub, and what temperature the racks start at for the cook. As someone that has actually slaughtered pigs/hogs, taken a fresh killed rack, seasoning it, and putting it on a grill, is/was different than taking a rack out of the refrigerator that was cryogenically sealed (frozen), for months then thawed. When you throw in temperature fluctuations and the fact that every 3 pack of ribs I’ve ever purchased had 2 racks of similar size and one rack that looked smaller, especially at the ends, the timer won’t be very helpful in my opinion. To illustrate this concept, do each of the exhibits below use the same 3-2-1 method if you were cooking just the ribs? The pictures represent my recent cooks. The hog was almost 200lbs and the ribs were about 20lbs each. The trimmed ribs were approximately 10lbs each and came from Costco. The piglet was a Fermin suckling variety around 70lbs pre-butchered with ribs that weighed around 6lbs each. However, I will definitely monitor this thread and increase my knowledge on this matter as others continue to share.

YMMV.

View attachment 20823

View attachment 20824

View attachment 20825

View attachment 20826
The prep on that pig looks absolutely Perfect. Text book. A lot of work goes into prep for a pig roast but it pays in the product at delivery. Really nice looking Pig.

v/r r

Last edited:
How does it change the flavor in anyway? If I want to chew something off a bone I'd make chicken.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back