2023 RT Academy

For those that have attended, it sounds like fun, but is it "Wait until the slots come out in the middle of the night once a year to sign up" fun? Is it worth it for those that attended and actually have some time in front of various cookers and fundamentally know how to cook?
The wife and I put ourselves on the wait list in 2020, and with the pandemic concerns two spots opened up for December. We had a fabulous, ate very well, and there were nice items in the swag bag. They also offer a nice discount on everything during the event. So if someone was in the market for a new grill and could pick it up, that‘s something to consider. The whole hog BBQ and band was also great. They had an open bar the entire time, so if you wanted a bourbon with your breakfast, it was there! Also, it was nice that the recteq folks turned off the sales pitches for this event. They realize that it cost a lot to attend and they did everything they could to ensure you have a great time.

As for what you can learn at Academy, it’s worth keeping in mind who is teaching you. These are competition cooks and you will learn how to cook hot and fast, and season to get that one perfect bite. So there is something to be learned, but if you are looking to refine low and slow skills, there will be fewer takeaways. At the end of it all, we both agreed that we absolutely would go back. There were two people there that were making their second trip. I’d highly recommend the experience, but don’t go with the expectation that you are attending a BBQ Masterclass.

Greg's description is quite accurate. My wife and I had a great time in 2022 and are hoping to attend again with friends, maybe in 2024 or 2025.

Our team were all backyard cooks with minimal interest in competition. Chef John spent plenty of time passing on advice more in line with our interests. We picked up some great tips on injection and brisket trimming. Those have proved helpful with our weekend cooks.

So let me ask...

For those that have attended, it sounds like fun, but is it "Wait until the slots come out in the middle of the night once a year to sign up" fun? Is it worth it for those that attended and actually have some time in front of various cookers and fundamentally know how to cook?

Back in the day, a very long time ago, we used to stand in line overnight to wait for concert tickets to go on sale. I can't say that any of those events were worth the pain, suffering, and expense. Did those of you that have attended have a "take away" or was it just an expensive party weekend?

I have always wondered about a lot of these "BBQ Schools" from Myron Mixon, Harry Soo, et al. They all sound like fun, but there are cheaper ways to have fun cooking without having a takeaway of knowledge.
Sorry I missed seeing this, and therefore, not respond. As I said above, the Academy is awesome, but it IS expensive. It is a way to get A LOT of information blasted to you at once. It is a Crash Course in competing in a Competition Cook. It it taught by people that compete on various circuits. All of them have won multiple competitions. All of them provide the students valuable knowledge about what works, and what does not. Is it worth it -- Hell Yes. I do not see myself going every year, mainly for the expense, but some do. If you do decide to "stay up all night, waiting for tickets to go on sale", I think you will not only enjoy the experience, but will also get to drink out of a fire hose. I will eventually get back in line, and stay up all night....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back