Bull 2 Brisket on a Bull

Wadehouse

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I need to smoke two brisket on my Bull for the Sunday “brunch” after my daughters wedding in a couple of weeks. Logistics will be dicey and I have a couple of questions. The plan is to smoke 2 ~15 lbs brisket for our guests starting Saturday afternoon just before I leave for the wedding. The smoke will have to be largely unattended until I get back after midnight. I am going to follow my typical brisket process which is largely Malcom Reeds recipe. Hopefully the timing works so that when I get home from the wedding it is perfect time to wrap in butcher paper and put back on the grill before I finally head off to bed.

Having never smoked 2 brisket simultaneously before does filling the grill add significant time to the process? I have a large upper shelf for my bull, is it best to split the briskets on upper and lower grates or find a way to fir them both on the lower grates? If I am missing any other issues your shared wisdom would be appreciated.

While I haven't done two briskets at the same time, I have filled up the grill with three racks of beef plate ribs. I really didn't notice any difference in cooking time (maybe 20 - 30 minutes on a 9 hour rib cook). I did rotate around part way through as I've always found the right side runs a little hotter, but I'm not sure it really made a difference.

One thing I did learn is that my grease bucket overflowed.

Update us after your cook as I'm cooking for a large group at the end of the month and I plan on doing at least one brisket and and a couple of pork shoulders.

I did rotate around part way through as I've always found the right side runs a little hotter, but I'm not sure it really made a difference.

One thing I did learn is that my grease bucket overflowed.
That's interesting because my 1070 is hotter on the left, especially towards the back.

Maybe you can get creative with a 5 gal bucket and some bricks or cinderblock, under the cute little pail to catch overflow. Just in case.

I put briskets on at 10-11 at night and don’t touch them until 7or 8 in the morning, you should be fine with your timing as long as you aren’t cooking too hot. I usually do 200-225 over night depending on how early I want to be done.

When I do two I rotate them when I wrap. It doesn’t give them equal time on each side but they tend to equal out.
8A23416B-04FF-407E-A8E0-33B8C91F4525.jpeg

Thanks for the wisdom. I think I will stick with the lower grate as long as they fit and rotate after 8 or so hours when I go to wrap. I have left myself about 2.5 hours on the back end for adjustment and a good rest. Hopefully the evening of celebration and bourbon leaves me capable of not messing up the wrap and rotation 🤣😎🎉.

I put briskets on at 10-11 at night and don’t touch them until 7or 8 in the morning, you should be fine with your timing as long as you aren’t cooking too hot. I usually do 200-225 over night depending on how early I want to be done.

When I do two I rotate them when I wrap. It doesn’t give them equal time on each side but they tend to equal out.View attachment 17365
Looks great.

Waterboy nailed it. Since the Bull is an oversized convection oven, it will maintain temps pretty well. I too have the “warmer” left side syndrome and point the flat away from the hot area(s) to prevent premature drying. I also inject the flat with a Wagyu-butter-beef stock blend to keep it moist when cooking. I think you will be alright as you can actually use 2 small shelfs and put 4 briskets the size you described on it comfortably. Don’t forget to put a wood chunk under the briskets to keep the grease from pooling and messing up your bark. Another trick is to put the brisket in an oven after the wrap since it will not be getting any additional smoke. I use my propane pizza oven at times for the final stages of the cook instead of burning pellets.

Have a great cook and congrats to the bride and groom.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back