1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
Never forget what happened.
Never forget who did it.
IMG_0930.jpeg

Speaking of responding, I saw this story today.

This man's name is Rick Rescorla.

22 years ago today, Rick disobeyed orders, and saved 2700 lives.

Rick was the head of security for Morgan Stanley in the South Tower of the World Trade Center. He warned that the Towers' basements were vulnerable to attack.

His warnings fell on deaf ears.

Then the 1993 attack happened, and people started listening to him.

After that attack, Rick implemented regular evacuation drills, using his megaphone to direct the thousands of employees out of their offices, down the stairwells, and out of the building to safety.

Born in Cornwall, Rick would sing Welsh and Cornish songs from his megaphone, as he directed the employees out of the building.

He would routinely tell all of the employees: in an emergency, no matter what chaos is happening around you, no matter what anyone tells you, leave your offices, go down the stairwells, and leave the building.

Rick told his wife Susan that he suspected another attack on the World Trade Center would happen, this time by air.

And 22 years ago today, on September 11, 2001, that attack happened.

When the first plane hit the North Tower, the Port Authority announced over the South Tower's speaker system "Please do not leave the building. This area is secure."

Rick ignored them.

"The dumb sons of b------s told me not to evacuate," he said to his best friend Dan. "They said it's just Building One. I told them I'm getting my people the f--k out of here."

And so Rick picked up his megaphone as he had done so many times before, told his employees not to listen to the orders, and directed them out of the building.

His Cornish songs helped keep their nerves calm as they evacuated, even after the second plane hit their Tower.

Once he had successfully evacuated his employees, Rick went back to look for survivors.

But first, he called his wife Susan.

"Stop crying. I have to get these people out safely. If something should happen to me, I want you to know I've never been happier. You made my life."

Rick rushed back to the South Tower.

That was the last time anyone saw him alive.

All but 6 of the more than 2700 Morgan Stanley employees survived.

Had they obeyed the Port Authority, they would all be dead.

Thankfully, they listened to Rick instead.

Rest in Peace, Rick. Thank you for your service.

Indeed a day of memorial, however I still have more questions and immense concerns than answers, I believe the truths to perhaps be stranger than fiction.......and I don't trust those we are told/demanded/expected to trust.

Rabbit hole I started down this rabbit hole today 🤔

And, never forget who responded.
Great observation. I’ve used the two lines I posted for 22 years now. It will include your suggestion next year. Strange that I missed this thus far, as I describe my own son, rightfully so, as someone that rushes into the fire.

I describe my own son, rightfully so, as someone that rushes into the fire.
I do understand; my police officer grandson is in that same mold. For all the bad press a few bad first responders generate, there are a whole bunch who live to serve their communities well and honorably; rarely getting a positive mention. Sounds like your son may be a firefighter or other first-responder and, if so, he is greatly appreciated for his willingness to put the welfare of others before his own.

My son is a 2nd LT at Spangdahlem Air Base in Germany. He went to college at The Citadel in Charleston, SC. During his freshman year, he was evacuated (along with my Marine SiIL and my daughter) due to a hurricane to the base in Pensacola FL. Next year, another hurricane. Instead of evacuating, he volunteered along with 21 other cadets to stay in a WMCA and help with the rescue efforts. Drove me and his mother nuts, but I’ve never been more proud of him.

He’s even more on my mind today. A local university, Eastern Kentucky University, has held a 9/11 tribute where they climb the number of stars in their tallest dorm to match the number of stairs from top to bottom in the Twin Towers. He never missed a year until now. I may give lip service to it in my past, but my son, he’s a bad ass!

My son is a 2nd LT at Spangdahlem Air Base in Germany. He went to college at The Citadel in Charleston, SC. During his freshman year, he was evacuated (along with my Marine SiIL and my daughter) due to a hurricane to the base in Pensacola FL. Next year, another hurricane. Instead of evacuating, he volunteered along with 21 other cadets to stay in a WMCA and help with the rescue efforts. Drove me and his mother nuts, but I’ve never been more proud of him.

He’s even more on my mind today. A local university, Eastern Kentucky University, has held a 9/11 tribute where they climb the number of stars in their tallest dorm to match the number of stairs from top to bottom in the Twin Towers. He never missed a year until now. I may give lip service to it in my past, but my son, he’s a bad ass!
You have good reason to be proud, @Greg Jones. Serving your nation is a high calling!

Speaking of responding, I saw this story today.

This man's name is Rick Rescorla.

22 years ago today, Rick disobeyed orders, and saved 2700 lives.

Rick was the head of security for Morgan Stanley in the South Tower of the World Trade Center. He warned that the Towers' basements were vulnerable to attack.

His warnings fell on deaf ears.

Then the 1993 attack happened, and people started listening to him.

After that attack, Rick implemented regular evacuation drills, using his megaphone to direct the thousands of employees out of their offices, down the stairwells, and out of the building to safety.

Born in Cornwall, Rick would sing Welsh and Cornish songs from his megaphone, as he directed the employees out of the building.

He would routinely tell all of the employees: in an emergency, no matter what chaos is happening around you, no matter what anyone tells you, leave your offices, go down the stairwells, and leave the building.

Rick told his wife Susan that he suspected another attack on the World Trade Center would happen, this time by air.

And 22 years ago today, on September 11, 2001, that attack happened.

When the first plane hit the North Tower, the Port Authority announced over the South Tower's speaker system "Please do not leave the building. This area is secure."

Rick ignored them.

"The dumb sons of b------s told me not to evacuate," he said to his best friend Dan. "They said it's just Building One. I told them I'm getting my people the f--k out of here."

And so Rick picked up his megaphone as he had done so many times before, told his employees not to listen to the orders, and directed them out of the building.

His Cornish songs helped keep their nerves calm as they evacuated, even after the second plane hit their Tower.

Once he had successfully evacuated his employees, Rick went back to look for survivors.

But first, he called his wife Susan.

"Stop crying. I have to get these people out safely. If something should happen to me, I want you to know I've never been happier. You made my life."

Rick rushed back to the South Tower.

That was the last time anyone saw him alive.

All but 6 of the more than 2700 Morgan Stanley employees survived.

Had they obeyed the Port Authority, they would all be dead.

Thankfully, they listened to Rick instead.

Rest in Peace, Rick. Thank you for your service.
Wow what a great person. Thanks for sharing the story.

You have good reason to be proud, @Greg Jones. Serving your nation is a high calling!

My son is a veteran as well "US Army Infantry 10th Mountain Division" and I am "very proud" of that, however........I don't believe our military has served the people or this country much since WWII. The military industrial complex has been out of control for far too long and has been used very nefariously for far too long. I bleed red/white/blue with the best of them, but our men and women "who volunteer" serve interests that do not well serve this nation nor it's people, nor the countries we have all but destroyed with our involvement. We would all be British, Japanese or German had we not fought for our freedoms and liberty, but not sure what/why we have been involved in so much around the world ever since. The US military doesn't get involved with anything, that doesn't somehow benefit the politicians sending off our sons and daughters to get slaughtered or maimed. These are also the words of my son as well, and I also have more than a few close friends that are vets and concur with my feelings/thoughts/observations. But in saying all that.......a big thank you to all those who have served in the past/present/future.

My son is a veteran as well "US Army Infantry 10th Mountain Division" and I am "very proud" of that, however........I don't believe our military has served the people or this country much since WWII. The military industrial complex has been out of control for far too long and has been used very nefariously for far too long. I bleed red/white/blue with the best of them, but our men and women "who volunteer" serve interests that do not well serve this nation nor it's people, nor the countries we have all but destroyed with our involvement. We would all be British, Japanese or German had we not fought for our freedoms and liberty, but not sure what/why we have been involved in so much around the world ever since. The US military doesn't get involved with anything, that doesn't somehow benefit the politicians sending off our sons and daughters to get slaughtered or maimed. These are also the words of my son as well, and I also have more than a few close friends that are vets and concur with my feelings/thoughts/observations. But in saying all that.......a big thank you to all those who have served in the past/present/future.
First, and foremost, I respect your freedom to have an opinion that differs from mine in many respects. That’s the freedom I served to protect.

And, secondly, I love the fact that this forum remains dedicated primarily to discussions regarding grilling and smoking proteins, and similar topics. When respectful disagreements occur, I’m glad that they are primarily around which rub is best, or whether to make your own. :rolleyes:

I see no point in discussing further political issues and nuances we may not fully agree upon when there are so many grilling and smoking subjects that need to be explored. 🤝

It is in the “Lounge” area. No dog in this fight, but should the thread really be shut down because one person disagrees?
Had the thread been flagged from the first post, saying hey no politics - I think that would be a more genuine objection.
I get my politics elsewhere, it’s not what I come here for, but if the admin @Mike allows it then the rest of us can choose to read it or ignore it.

It is in the “Lounge” area. No dog in this fight, but should the thread really be shut down because one person disagrees?
Had the thread been flagged from the first post, saying hey no politics - I think that would be a more genuine objection.
I get my politics elsewhere, it’s not what I come here for, but if the admin @Mike allows it then the rest of us can choose to read it or ignore it.
Precisely why there's the "ignore" option 😁

Agree @SmokeOCD, I posted this in the Lounge area as it is my understanding the lounge is where ‘off-grilling topics’ should be. If I’m mistaken or if @Mike says differently, I’ll absolutely respect that. I never intended for it to be a ‘political’ post, but rather a patriotic post. I make no apologies for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back