WiFi power strip

v1per95

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This is gonna be a weird one, but has anyone ever seen, or used a power strip thats Wifi? I'll explain why. Like many of you, I don't trust leaving my grill plugged in, because we all know software can fail at any time. The solution I've thought of is a wifi power strip that you can control power to use port of. Say you have 4 things plugged into this strip, but only 1 appliance is needed. So you go to your app and tell it to put power to that specific port on the strip. I don't think this product exists but if anyone has come up with a similar solution, I'd love to hear it!

I wish "Ring" (amazon) would make a "Smart" Outlet or plug-in that allows me to monitor and reset power to my fridge(s) via the Ring App. Last time I looked, they had nothing.

I suppose that the devices that Eddie shows would allow me to do that, but I'm not doing "alexa", "apple home" or "google home".

Yeah, I know that Ring isn't any better than alexa or google home for intrusiveness, but I'm not going to put any more than ring in the house.

I've used these for Christmas lights. I suspect they would work fine. They are made for outdoor use.

So, here’s my thought; if you don’t trust RT software not to turn on your grill by itself (I don’t either), why would you trust another app not to? I suppose it provides a second line of defense, but simply pulling the plug is foolproof. YMMV, I guess.

👆 Yeah there's that too...

So, here’s my thought; if you don’t trust RT software not to turn on your grill by itself (I don’t either), why would you trust another app not to? I suppose it provides a second line of defense, but simply pulling the plug is foolproof. YMMV, I guess.
Well the thought process was that if I could find a strip that truly CUT power to each individual plug, it would be a lot more unlikely for multiple things to go whacky.

I use a TP Link smart strip in our greenhouse, like the one linked above. It works flawlessly. Each plug is a different devise in the app. I.E. Heater, Greenhouse dot, and Light. Gotta love it!!

one problem I have found with disconnecting the controller from the power is it doesn’t always automatically reconnect to the wifi. I would have to go thru the process of reconnecting it manually.

I use a TP Link smart strip in our greenhouse, like the one linked above. It works flawlessly. Each plug is a different devise in the app. I.E. Heater, Greenhouse dot, and Light. Gotta love it!!
I just installed that same smart strip (3-way) inside our house.

Amazon $25

one problem I have found with disconnecting the controller from the power is it doesn’t always automatically reconnect to the wifi. I would have to go thru the process of reconnecting it manually.
Once I got things sorted out, my RT-340 reconnects just fine after having the power disconnected. It does take 2-3 minutes for the red light to go on, however. Oddly, it took connecting to my combination 2.4/5 GHz router rather than a split our 2.4 GHz in order to get it to connect reliably—and, I have the older 2.4 GHz-only version grill.

I’m pretty convinced that it depends a lot on how your service provider sets up the wireless router. I’m no computer guru, so don’t ask me to go into much detail about that. Suffice to say that I had all kinds of problems attempting to connect to the split-out 2.4 GHz, but when I just went to the standard router setup (I am a Comcast/Xfinity customer), it set up right away and has worked ever since. YMMV

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back