What is your frying pan of choice?

For what it's worth - I did end up buying the HexClad pans and the wife does like them. Mostly.

For most things, the HexClads are nice and mostly stick free. The biggest issue is really breakfast time. Many mornings the wife will take some bread, butter it, cut a hole in the center and put an egg in the center. This setup seems to love the hexclad texture and will, more times than not, love to stick to it.

I also tend to make scrambled eggs for myself each morning. Scrambled eggs also love to stick to the texture. Not enough to make cleaning hard (cleaning is super easy) but enough to be annoying.

When I was first looking for new pans I also checked the Project Farm youtube channel but he didn't have any reviews on any. Of course, after I buy a set of pans he publishes a review. :ROFLMAO:

Based off some of his testing, I ended up buying a 10" OXO pan and have only used it to make fried and scrambled eggs for myself, but it's a night and day difference!

Both the OXO and the HexClad are stupid easy to clean but neither scrambled or fried eggs stick to the OXO like they do the Hex Clad.

I actually caught the wife yesterday morning using my OXO pan to cook her breakfast. She now wants the 12" OXO as well. :D

Hex Clads are very nice and do a great job on most things. Just not eggs, in my opinion.
I have the same issue with eggs. I use a fair amount of coconut oil when I do eggs. I like to butter my burger buns and brown them on the stove. I’ve never been able to get them to brown evenly. I have a brand new Kitchen Aid stove that’s electric, so that could be the issue…. Or sure though.

I lightly buff mine with old t shirt and avacado oil after drying, then store on stove with lid on it. Then I always preheat on "3" then put a teaspoon of avacado oil and wipe around, including rivets, using paper towel. I don't have issues with eggs or cheeses. But that's only because I've learned that it heats up fast and a "3" will cook on the hexclad where I have to use "4" on my cast iron.

My experience with eggs has been different. I use a lot of butter when cooking eggs, even in a nonstick pan, because I want the flavor.
I cook my eggs with a bit of olive oil. Let it heat up and then move the pan around to spread it. The wife on the other hand I know uses butter as well when she cooks in the morning.

One thing to note is that HexClad does advise to put a film of oil on them after cleaning, similar to what one should do with cast iron pans.
We haven't tried that but will for sure.

Overall we're certainly happy with the hexclad pans - just not for eggs, but maybe we're doing something wrong. :D ;)

I don’t normally fix scrambled eggs, but today I did three eggs with about 1+ tablespoons of butter on the HexClad griddle. Pictures are of the start of the cook, end of the cook, griddle with the eggs removed, and the griddle once wiped with nothing other than a dry paper towel.

PS: this is an induction cooktop with settings of 1-9. The eggs were cooked on the setting of 3, so a medium-low heat.
IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg
IMG_2128.jpeg
IMG_2129.jpeg

Last edited:
Searing meats: Lodge 12" cast iron

Braising some stir-fry, etc.: Le Creuset 7.5 qt dutch oven

Most other things: 30+ year old Calphalon Commercial anodized aluminum

@Greg Jones in another thread I am sure interested in your review of the induction stove. I have been looking hard at them. And you all are not spending anymore of my 💵 on these pans but I am tempeted, no I’m not, yes I am, shut up Sybil, I mean really 😫

@Greg Jones in another thread I am sure interested in your review of the induction stove. I have been looking hard at them. And you all are not spending anymore of my 💵 on these pans but I am tempeted, no I’m not, yes I am, shut up Sybil, I mean really 😫
I’ve been using a couple of remote 120v induction units for years. I’ll put together a post on induction in general, but as a spoiler I’ll say I love it. We don’t have gas service where we live, so electric is our only practical option. More to come.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back