What flavor pellets to use for Brisket

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hello everyone. I am so excited to do my first brisket ever on my Bullseye. Can someone recommend the flavor pellet to go with? i have researched and its all over the board from Oak, Hickory, Mesquite, blend, etc. I am shooting for a texas style brisket with SPG seasoning. I was going to shoot for straigh mesquite, but didnt want to blow this Prime brisket up and make it bitter. Should i add some other pellets into the hopper with the mesquite? or mesquite first and then a blend after that? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Brisket1.jpg
    Brisket1.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Brisket2.jpg
    Brisket2.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 88
Just straight mesquite for the whole cook?
Yep, really wanted to try to see just how smoky it would be. I used Lumberjack Mesquite.

Gotta be honest - not that strong. I could taste smoke but I was prepared for extreme after seeing all the warnings about using mesquite from stick burners. It was just a good, pleasant taste - mostly beef and pepper!

awesome, thank you so much. I am a bit nervous about this cook. The unknown can be exciting...and terrifying.

IIRC, the mesquite blend is 60% red oak/40% mesquite. I just used it in my 340 and really enjoyed it.

As for using 100% mesquite, I wouldn't worry about it getting bitter. These things don’t put out nearly the amount of smoke as a stick burner, but they do burn much cleaner, and that makes a difference as well.

On my stick burner I always mix in oak with whatever I’m using. Not only to prevent any bitterness, I just like the flavor that it adds.

Last edited:
Hardwood as opposed to fruit wood. I can't tell the difference between the different types enough for it to matter which hardwood. I have LJ Pecan on hand, which is 60% oak and 40% pecan.

I have used RecTeq Ultimate blend, PitBoss competition blend, and B&B championship blend, all with great results on a brisket. The best so far has been the B&B championship blend. I did a 16lb full packer brisket and it was super juicey and the bark was perfect. I trim almost all the fat off and place a water pan under the grate. 200° and let it ride.

REC TEC Ultimate or PIT BOSS Competition Blend

The PIT BOSS Competition Blend can be had on Amazon.com right now for $20 for 40lbs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back