Bullseye Well here I am brand spankin new Bulleye owner

Brian A

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hey guys. Got my Bullseye a few days ago. Not new to grills or smoking but first time pellet pooper

Put it together last night

When I get home from work in a few hours gonna fire it up for the time burn in

Any tips, or last minute words of encouragement? I have the manual at the ready with the burn in procedure

When I decided to buy it I was all in.

But the more I read the more I am having my doubts LOL

Thanks

congratulations. i would like a bullseye also. only advice i have is keep the lid shut as much as possible or the grills temp will drop and it will often overshoot. turning the temp down 100 degrees before you open the lid for a long time will help with that though the. reset to desired temp when you close the lid

Well I fired it up yesterday. It went ok. Overshot at first to over 600 for about a half hour, at that point I set it to 300 it fell back down to about 150f, I thought it was going to go out so I bumped it up to about 350, then it shot back up again, I didnt touch it again it kept bouncing up and down and finally settled down. I think the PID controller was auto tuning,. I have seen this before as I use PID controllers in my job. Kind of suprised it was not already tuned, I will run it again when I get home see what happens.

Attachments

• temps.JPG
    temps.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 75
Thanks. One thing I did notice on the plus side is I dont seem to have that 100f difference between the temp reported on the controller and my grate probe I see people talk about. They are pretty close.

So far anyway lol

If you ever start thinking about a rotisserie for your 380, Get a "Cajun Bandit" Very high quality and much better than the Weber.. IMHO,,, AND the lid extension from DRG....

I have had a Bullseye for about a year. We use it alot. It is great for hot and fast. I also have a 590, it is not as stable as my 590, but it does a great job. It is just a different grill. However it should not bounce like that, I would call RT, always helpful.
I think it is a good value and it is easy to use. Cook mostly chicken, steaks, pork etc on it.

My bullseye was unstable when it was new. I’ve had for a year now and it seems now it’s more stable. It’s not a low and slow though. Although, I’ve done the flat part of a brisket for 9 hours and it did great. It’s excellent for spatchcock chicken, burgers, reverse sear steaks, ribs, pork loins. I even spatchcocked a 12 lb. turkey and it came out awesome. Gonna try a 16 lb. turkey for Christmas.
Oh, also do red snapper on the scales too. Comes out great.

Attachments

• 7713E677-F251-4D91-912D-CB9E2EB9C7C8.jpeg
    7713E677-F251-4D91-912D-CB9E2EB9C7C8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 80
  • 69588BEF-AF69-44C5-8D2D-56514A5D0A77.jpeg
    69588BEF-AF69-44C5-8D2D-56514A5D0A77.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
Thanks. I contacted support. They are telling me 9 times out of 10 the pellets are too long. They should be 1/2 in long. I dont know, these pellets (JAX by Jealous Devil) are a lot smaller than the Trager and Weber pellets I saw at the store.

What pellets are you guys using? I see Pit Boss at Menards. Anyone using those? Its the only other local one I can find right now

I did do a spatchcock chicken last night. It came out great. It does seem to be more stable with a meat load in it. The tests I have been running were with it empty.

Thanks. I contacted support. They are telling me 9 times out of 10 the pellets are too long. They should be 1/2 in long. I dont know, these pellets (JAX by Jealous Devil) are a lot smaller than the Trager and Weber pellets I saw at the store.

What pellets are you guys using? I see Pit Boss at Menards. Anyone using those? Its the only other local one I can find right now

I did do a spatchcock chicken last night. It came out great. It does seem to be more stable with a meat load in it. The tests I have been running were with it empty.
I've been using Pit Boss almost exclusively although most of my experience has been with the 590. Just got my 380.

Hey guys. Got my Bullseye a few days ago. Not new to grills or smoking but first time pellet pooper

Put it together last night

When I get home from work in a few hours gonna fire it up for the time burn in

Any tips, or last minute words of encouragement? I have the manual at the ready with the burn in procedure

When I decided to buy it I was all in.

But the more I read the more I am having my doubts LOL

Thanks
Just orderd my today. How long did it take to get to you after you ordered?

Well I fired it up yesterday. It went ok. Overshot at first to over 600 for about a half hour, at that point I set it to 300 it fell back down to about 150f, I thought it was going to go out so I bumped it up to about 350, then it shot back up again, I didnt touch it again it kept bouncing up and down and finally settled down. I think the PID controller was auto tuning,. I have seen this before as I use PID controllers in my job. Kind of suprised it was not already tuned, I will run it again when I get home see what happens.
Mine has had large swings in temperature and hopefully will settle down . I thought it was good to go on last cook it held correct temperature for 3 hours and went wacko again. I am going to fire it up again tomorrow for a small pork loin roast and will see how that goes.

Well hopefully my issues are solved.

I switched to Pit Boss pellets, and set my feed rate to 65 (it shipped set to 30)

Was really steady for a few test burns (empty) yesterday. Like a different pit.

Only time will tell if it is fixed for good

Yeah, that's just the initial burn in. I've had mine about 6 weeks and used it 10 times. Temps are very stable/reliable after the first burn in.

Yeah, that's just the initial burn in. I've had mine about 6 weeks and used it 10 times. Temps are very stable/reliable after the first burn in.
I first thought that but I ran it several times for several hours at different temps no difference until I changed pellets

Customer support says I need to use pellets no longer than half inch. I cannot find such a thing so i asked them what they suggested. This was the response. I find it interesting that they know all of the components are working properly. They did not do a diagnosis of any kind. I ended up using Pit Boss and they seem to work fine

Drew Richardson, Jr. (recteq)
Dec 6, 2021, 10:03 EST
We do not recommend any in particular. We know all of the components are working properly so the only other two factors is either type of fuel or airflow. Wipe the lip of your lid and barrel down and clean out the vents with a butter knife. The biggest thing with pellets is the blend, age, and length. We don’t want to use a pure mesquite blend or anything that has charcoal in it such as char-hickory or pure charcoal. Pellets have a shelf life of roughly 6 months as well and we do not want them any longer than 1/2 of an inch. All of these will cause weird temp swings. You can use any brand that you would like as long as you are mindful of the things listed above.

-Drew

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back