Wedding brisket bbq

Creekside

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm thinking about doing brisket for 150 people on a 590.
I've never tried this much. i grill and smoke allot on the 590.

I'm thinking the weekend before I can do 3 runs and freeze it, and that weekend I can do 3. 150# right? Should I look into borrowing some other pellet grills? What else? What did you do?

I really appreciate any help!!!

First, welcome to the forum. Second, kudos to you for even considering such a big project. And, third, remember that a wedding is a very personal and emotional event for the participants, and you don’t want to be the one that creates a bad memory.

If this is YOUR wedding, then you want to be sure that your bride-to-be is cool with the idea. If it is not YOUR wedding, then I would think long and hard before I made the commitment. This is not a time where you would want to experience a “whoops.”

How many briskets have you cooked? How confident are you that EVERY brisket you cook will turn out great? What would happen if something went awry; anything from a power outage to a failed cook? Feeding 150 people at a wedding reception is not a task for the faint-hearted or inexperienced.

I have cooked a fair number of briskets in my lifetime and the vast majority of them turned out great. That said, I have learned that brisket can be a challenging cook at times. So, at the very least, you will need to build in a sizeable cushion; like professional caterers do. For a 150-person event, they will typically cook enough for at least 200 people. That gives them some leeway if a) more people show up, b) a brisket or two doesn’t turn out well and c) someone accidentally dumps a platter of sliced brisket on the way to the table. There are probably other good reasons too.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

It's a wedding - treat yourself to a BFG. Once in a lifetime event! Roll it into the overall cost of the wedding.
That's at least 150lbs of brisket you'll need, before trimming and shrinkage. (as you already stated)
Why weekend only cooking? Slap it on when you get home from work, pull it off before you leave. Or slap it on when you leave and pull it off later that evening.

I think your right about the 200#. Bride, daughter, is vegetarian so she's ok with smoked tofu and tofurkeys for all. Yeah not happening. He's Jewish so no pulled pork, that's what I'd do

This is all mine. Over night thru the week is not a bad idea. Could just buy 75# at Sam's done for $1000, maybe I'll see.

Bfg, well, it's just me and wife usually. And someone's on a diet...😆

Personally, there would be more on my mind of my pre-wedding night/week than cooking for 150 people. My suggestion would be making my first anniversary a memorable meal rather than trying something this adventurous. Show them all a year from now that your bride made a wise culinary choice, rather than risking everything on your wedding day.

I suppose you could do multiple cooks throughout the week and reheat on game day. It would still scare the hell out of me.

I did a 50+ pound cook of brisket and whole pork shoulder last fall for around 25 - 30 people and it filled up my 1250 and I had to stagger my start times (and I was at work for a big part of the cook).

There are a couple of folks here that do catering. Hopefully this thread catches their eyes.

Greg, This is my oldests 2d wedding, got a kid now, it's her soon to be hubby that wants it fancy. Not me, lol, at my age I'm not remarrying if things go south...lol 😅 it's been a 33 year ride. I'd be fine with them using a shelter house and grilling burgers and dogs. In fact I have pressed that idea a few times.

It does scary me. However, I like grilling, I'm cheap, I'm not afraid of hard work, i like my bbq better then most commercial stuff, but I don't want to screw it up or go in to something that I can't do before 150 people. I was hauling kegs at my wedding. My wife was cutting up bread for sandwiches. We're that type.

However I've only done one brisket these years of pellet grilling because they are big and expensive, not my line of thinking. We're more bacon wrapped chicken on cream cheese and jalapeños people.

Do pulled pork and splurge on the Hawaiian rolls. Cinnamon Sugar glazed pineapple for dessert. Luau theme.
Groom is Jewish so no pork products. He stated that in a reply a few messages up. Otherwise that's what I would do as well.

However I've only done one brisket these years of pellet grilling because they are big and expensive, not my line of thinking. We're more bacon wrapped chicken on cream cheese and jalapeños people.
With just one brisket under my belt, I would be thinking burgers and hot dogs. :ROFLMAO: Seriously, cooking enough brisket for 150 people on a backyard grill would scare the daylights out of me, and I like to think that I don’t scare easily.

What’s the official bone count for catering ribs? 4? So that’s 1/3 slab, 3 guzinta 40 … about 14 slabs? Easy peasey.
I wouldn’t do it either.

I have a 590, only cooked one at a time, not sure you could do two. That being said it is an all night event for even one. Then freezing, thawing and warming, seems like a lot to plan and a lot to go awry.
I whole heartily agree with @Jim6820 and cater the event.
Keep the cooking simple and enjoyable!

Curious what you decided? I have never tried to freeze a brisket and wonder how well it would taste after reheating it.

I freeze the leftovers, tastes fine to us. of course it’s not quite like just smoked, but reheated with added beef broth makes it doable. Without something like broth it’d be very dry.

Greg, This is my oldests 2d wedding, got a kid now, it's her soon to be hubby that wants it fancy. Not me, lol, at my age I'm not remarrying if things go south...lol 😅 it's been a 33 year ride. I'd be fine with them using a shelter house and grilling burgers and dogs. In fact I have pressed that idea a few times.

It does scary me. However, I like grilling, I'm cheap, I'm not afraid of hard work, i like my bbq better then most commercial stuff, but I don't want to screw it up or go in to something that I can't do before 150 people. I was hauling kegs at my wedding. My wife was cutting up bread for sandwiches. We're that type.

That’s a heck of a challenge you’ve taken on. Wow! That said, a variation you could consider is smoking the meat up to 160 degrees, wrapping the meat and finish the cook in the oven. You could be putting the next set of meat on the smoker while the previously smoked meat is finishing in the oven.

Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back