The Brisket is in the Cure

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I know I'm a bit late for starting this, but my wife wouldn't buy the store corned beef for St Patty's Day and I was out of Prague #1 until the amazon shipment arrived today. Man, I drove all over town looking for it too. I'm following the Amazing Ribs.com recipe. I've used it for years and the wife's happy with it. I'm just a bit late getting it going.

I went to Costco today and bought a 18 lb prime brisket. I separated the point and trimmed all the fat and silverskin from both. The point will get made into burnt ends tomorrow and the flat was cut in half and I'm brining in 2 gal ziploks.
20200310_211254.jpg
20200310_211330.jpg

I know I'm a bit late for starting this, but my wife wouldn't buy the store corned beef for St Patty's Day and I was out of Prague #1 until the amazon shipment arrived today. Man, I drove all over town looking for it too. I'm following the Amazing Ribs.com recipe. I've used it for years and the wife's happy with it. I'm just a bit late getting it going.

I went to Costco today and bought a 18 lb prime brisket. I separated the point and trimmed all the fat and silverskin from both. The point will get made into burnt ends tomorrow and the flat was cut in half and I'm brining in 2 gal ziploks.
View attachment 2415View attachment 2416
Don’t sweat. It will be great. If your not out of one thing, you are out of something else. It all comes together.

I do a dry brine but on Amazing Ribs they go wet. They recommend not using a ziplock for
wet brine's probably so the brine surrounds the meat on all sides.
But if it works for you then who I'm I to say.
If you haven't seen the website it is a wealth of knowledge...
They also have a curing calculator for using pink salt 1 or 2 and is a handy tool.
I know one recipe you posted (bacon) had 2 tsp of pink salt for 2 cups of water. Seems way to much to me, maybe that is why it is way too salty?!!
Don't mean to be busting your bacon but I see so much bad info on the net about pink salt
and usage that if I didn't like you I wouldn't say anything!
Lecture over carry on!

I have used the Amazing Ribs recipe for corned beef and pastrami for a handful of years off and on. This batch of corned beef was by the Amazing Ribs recipe. Not too salty. I put a couple tablespoons of their pickling spice in the cure and also put a tablespoon of the pickling spice in a spice bag when cooking the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, onions and carrots. I like the bag, it keeps the floaties out of the meal. I've had good luck with both the bags and containers. I agitate and flip daily.

That first bacon recipe was one of the celebrity chefs. Those guys are always trying to re-invent everything. I didnt' like that at all. Ended up going with someone elses more classic recipe. Forgot who's. But it was much nicer and not so salty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back