Bull Strange Texture On London Broil RT-700

ShawnKevin

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Cooked a London Broil on xtreme smoke (low) until it came up to 135. Pulled the "steak" out, set it to full with a grill grate inside. Put the steak back in for about 90 seconds each side on the grill grate. The center is great, even medium with a good smoke ring (Pic) . Dry rubbed with longhorn steak seasoning and granulated garlic on both sides (Pic).

The issue I'm having is the ends cut across the grain by the store, prior to me buying it, are developing a weird texture and color when it's done (Pic).The ends are almost rubbery and the bright red color is also strange, It's fully cooked although looks almost raw. The rest of the "steak" is great, no issues. Just the ends that are cut across the grain.

I'm thinking that I'm cooking it so low and slow that my technique is what's messing it up. I'm thinking I need to cook it a bit higher, 250ish, then finish it on the grill grates. Anyone experienced this issue? Anyone cooked a good* steak that low and slow? I've done it that way prior on a traeger and had no issues BUT, the traeger didn't put out nearly the smoke that the 700 does.
20210826_205641.jpg
20210826_205628.jpg
20210826_212236.jpg
20210826_212305.jpg
20210826_212455.jpg

It's the smoke causing the red color. From what I am seeing, it looks normal for a smoked reverse seared steak.

225 works better, IMHO, than 180 when doing this.

I'm late to the party here.

I cook tri-tip all the time on my 590 and my bullseye. I set it to low smoke on either smoker. I prefer to use mesquite or mesquite and hickory pellets. It's in there less than an hour. I take it to 115F. We like our meat medium rare so I remove it from the smoker when it hits that temperature. Heat up the bullseye to 500 or higher and sear it. It'll get to about 132F.

It's one of my favorite things to do on the grill because it takes on so much smoke and flavor in such a short period of time.

That being said, I don't know what happened with yours. The pictures looked pretty normal to me. Tri-tip is a boomerang shaped muscle that has grain running in all different directions. It will be it's rarest in the center. The ends will always be more medium to medium well. I am constantly turning it in order to cut against the grain.

I hope you give it another try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back