Stall at 142F?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Cooking a chuck roast brisket-style today and it seems to have hit the stall at 142F; is that possible? That’s much lower than I have seen in the past. Cook temp started at 180-190F (LO) for the first two hours, then bumped up to 225F. Grill and protein temps being monitored on a TW Signals with a proven record of accuracy. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Of course it's possible - You're doing it! 100% thawed for sure? Your fridge surely has a cold spot - just like your grill has a hot spot; could it have been there before the start of the cook? Worst case is you're going to pull out the pressure cooker and have some shredded beef. Maybe tacos, quesadillas, chili, shredded beef sammiches. Did you wrap, are you thinking about it, maybe you should. You'll have something edible in the end.
Are you trying to get out of being the cook? First the chicken, now this.... :unsure:

Of course it's possible - You're doing it! 100% thawed for sure? Your fridge surely has a cold spot - just like your grill has a hot spot; could it have been there before the start of the cook? Worst case is you're going to pull out the pressure cooker and have some shredded beef. Maybe tacos, quesadillas, chili, shredded beef sammiches. Did you wrap, are you thinking about it, maybe you should. You'll have something edible in the end.
Are you trying to get out of being the cook? First the chicken, now this.... :unsure:
Yes, absolutely sure it was thawed. The IT measured 45F when I put it on the grill and the probe was in the thickest part. And, no, I’m not trying to “get out of being the cook. :ROFLMAO: Actually, I enjoy “being the cook,” and so does my spouse.

I wrapped the chuck roast a few minutes ago and we’ll see what happens. I have no doubt that it will be edible without resorting to the pressure cooker. In fact, it looked really good when I wrapped it. And, it appears to be slowly coming out of the stall; it jumped from a 2-degree rate of temp change per hour to 14 degrees in just a half hour. I think things are looking up.

Last edited:
Uncharted waters for me, do you normally cook at 180-190 the first two hours? I wonder if that affects the rate
moisture evaporating.
It just goes to show you, always more to learn.

Uncharted waters for me, do you normally cook at 180-190 the first two hours? I wonder if that affects the rate
moisture evaporating.
It just goes to show you, always more to learn.
For brisket and chuck roast (and a few other beefy things), I usually start at LO for the first two hours to get max smoke, then bump up to 225-250F. LO runs at around 185-190F on my 340 and produces quite a bit of smoke.

After I wrapped about an hour ago, the internal temp has started to rise again; slowly, but it is coming up. I have now bumped the grill temp to 250F in order to finish in time for a 2-hour+ rest before dinner.

For brisket and chuck roast (and a few other beefy things), I usually start at LO for the first two hours to get max smoke, then bump up to 225-250F. LO runs at around 185-190F on my 340 and produces quite a bit of smoke.

After I wrapped about an hour ago, the internal temp has started to rise again; slowly, but it is coming up. I have now bumped the grill temp to 250F in order to finish in time for a 2-hour+ rest before dinner.
@Jim6820 I have experienced this on a Chuck. I was doing the cook while working from home. Lunch time was coming and I had planned the regular stall about that time but it sat at ~148 for almost two hours. I gave up and wrapped at 11:00 during my lunch. Went to 250 and it started climbing after a period of time. After 2 more hours and knowing I would soon get some “when will it be ready” pressure from SWMNBN, I went to 280 wrapped and life was golden. Here is to your success 🍻

Final result?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back