Stampede Smokeless

Luckylukey

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
My new to me 590 does not appear to have no smoke whatsoever above 225* I would like to have some smoke maybe not to 500 but in the 300 to 350° range. What if I slow pellet feed down a bit?

Pellets using? Also thin blue to almost opaque smoke is what you want to see for a clean burning combustion. My 590 makes plenty of smoke above 225, I primarily use Pitboss pellets mixed with Royal Oak charcoal pellets.

590 does not appear to have no smoke whatsoever above 225*
Welcome to the forum...

A double negative is a positive, so you have smoke above 225....o_O

Seriously though, when a pellet grill gets above 300ish, there will be very little smoke. Some people use a smoke tube to gain more smoke.

Don't mess with the feed rate unless you're having trouble holding temp, adjusting it is not going to provide any more smoke.

My new to me 590 does not appear to have no smoke whatsoever above 225* I would like to have some smoke maybe not to 500 but in the 300 to 350° range. What if I slow pellet feed down a bit?
Are you talking about visible smoke or smoke flavor. You don’t need a ton of visible smoke to get smoke flavor. I like a heavier, but clean, smoke flavor so I start my low and slow cooks between 180 and 200 then bump up to 225-250. Even then I sometimes use a smoke tube though I think it is a dirtier smoke.

Pellet grills aren’t going to put out the smoke flavor that a stick burner or drum will. You can get good smoke flavor from those other grills even at 300-325 because they burn real unprocessed wood. But folks who use stick burners and drums are still looking for that thin blue opaque smoke that @Motodad1776 mentioned above.

Congrats on your 590!

Get yourself a smoke tube. I use pellets and wood chips and get plenty of smoke at higher temps.

Good luck!
The comments by @Waterboy and @Motodad1776 are spot on.

If you're wanting more smoke flavor and/or visible smoke, then a smoke tube will help.

I typically don't have any heavy visible white smoke on my RT-700 once I get above 250.

I put cherry, apple, or post oak wood chips on the heat deflector, depending on what I'm cooking. I can definitely taste a difference in smokiness. I don't think I would ever use a smoke tube unless I was cold smoking something.

I put cherry, apple, or post oak wood chips on the heat deflector, depending on what I'm cooking. I can definitely taste a difference in smokiness. I don't think I would ever use a smoke tube unless I was cold smoking something.
From what I've read, pellets smoldering on a hot surface generate dirty smoke, therefore not desirable when cooking. Sure there's an additional smoke appearance, but not the good kind. As long as you like the taste, that's what matters 🤷‍♂️
On the other hand, in a smoke tube, the pellets are burning more than smoldering, so the smoke is cleaner :unsure:

From what I've read, pellets smoldering on a hot surface generate dirty smoke, therefore not desirable when cooking. Sure there's an additional smoke appearance, but not the good kind. As long as you like the taste, that's what matters 🤷‍♂️
On the other hand, in a smoke tube, the pellets are burning more than smoldering, so the smoke is cleaner :unsure:
Thanks everyone for the great comment. Did smoke a pork butt today temperature on 240 and it had smoke coming out of it so it made me feel a whole lot better through the whole duration of the cook today. I have ordered a smoke tube just for additional flavor when I’m cooking something at 300 or 350 so I’ll be very good shape now. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the great comment. Did smoke a pork butt today temperature on 240 and it had smoke coming out of it so it made me feel a whole lot better through the whole duration of the cook today. I have ordered a smoke tube just for additional flavor when I’m cooking something at 300 or 350 so I’ll be very good shape now. Thanks again.
I wasn`t happy with the smoke flavor when I did a pork butt. Smoked on extreme smoke for 5 hours and then upped the heat to 250 until it reached 205 internal. I only smoke butts on my offset now. I was able to smoke a brisket using the same method and I was happy with the results. Just enough smoke to satisfy my taste. Since I`m retired and have plenty of time and free post oak wood, I haven`t cooked either on my RecTeq in 2 years. I still use it for several other thing but not those 2 proteins. I firmly believe that everyone`s taste is different when it comes to smoke flavor just like it is for eating hot peppers. I like a lot of heat and my wife likes very little. There`s no right or wrong, people's tastes are just different.

For the record...........I am 100% happy with the pork ribs I smoke on my RT. As good as any ribs I`ve ever eaten. Probably why you see so many RT smokers in BBQ contest.

r2.jpg

I seem to remember either Franklin or the Otter (sp?) the "mad Scientist" saying that the airflow in an offset uses higher temps than a pellet smoker due to the air flow in an offset being higher.

The logic I think was a 250F on an offset would translate to 225 on a pellet smoker. I will see if I can find the direct comment when I have some time.

I use a 12” 6 sided, depending on what I’m making I may only fill it partially. I put it in the back of the 340, gets in the way of messing with the food if in the front and if I were to move it to mess ashes fly around, so it’s the back for me.

I start it with a torch laying on an extra patio block, I let it burn about 10 min before putting it in the smoker, followed by the meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back