Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I did the 1 hour burn in today
Primed the fire pot with a handful of pellets
I had great smoke for about the first 6-7 minutes
Im sure that was the handful of pellets I primed with
I had virtually no smoke for the rest of the hour
Is this normal?
I knew pellet grills were not great at smoke but I at least expected an occasional wisp
I used RecTec pellets
It took 20 minutes to reach 400 and about 5 minutes to stabilize
After that it held steady at 400 for the full hour
I was very impressed with how it held temperature
I did purchase a smoke tube…looks like I might need to get a couple more

At 400 degrees, you will not get much smoke. That's normal as at higher temperatures you're basically running a convection oven fueled by pellets rather than a smoker.

When you're actually cooking at lower temperatures, you'll see more consistent smoke. That said, depending upon your desire for smoke, a smoke tube definitely increases the smoke output.

Thanks for your quick response
You we’re spot on
After the 1 hour burn in at 400 I dropped the temperature down to
300 the smoke billowed like a steam engine
I continued to drop the temperature 25 degrees at a time and left it run for 10 minutes at each setting
From 300 down to 180 I had good smoke
Now I just have to decide what my first cook will be
Thanks again

Came to look for these answers as well. I will bring down temp to see if I get more smoke.

I find it varies as to when the smoke begins to go away. It seems to be connected to how hard the fire pot has to work. The more the fan is on, the less smoke. It's when the fan is working intermittently, that there is smoke.

So, as the outside temp drops, the fan works more for a given set temp. An insulation blanket will help reduce the time the fan is running. Especially, on colder days.

I smoked a rack of spare ribs at 225 and there was plenty of smoke
I had a smoke tube ready to use just in case but there was enough smoke without it
The ribs smoked for 5 1/2 hours and came out perfectly with plenty of Smokey flavor
Thanks to everyone for their input

Arron Franklin of world famous Franklin BBQ smokes everything at 275 and never under 250, some how he gets plenty of smoke in his meat. Also he says that smoke rings are overrated and really don't mean much in terms of flavor, but they look pretty in a competition......he is all about that flavor and consistency.

I did the 1 hour burn in today
Primed the fire pot with a handful of pellets
I had great smoke for about the first 6-7 minutes
Im sure that was the handful of pellets I primed with
I had virtually no smoke for the rest of the hour
Is this normal?
I knew pellet grills were not great at smoke but I at least expected an occasional wisp
I used RecTec pellets
It took 20 minutes to reach 400 and about 5 minutes to stabilize
After that it held steady at 400 for the full hour
I was very impressed with how it held temperature
I did purchase a smoke tube…looks like I might need to get a couple more
LO to 225* is the best smoke range. Notice the fan goes off and on in that range to allow time to smolder in between air flow. Also, don't be fooled by the very visible white smoke. That will cause bitterness and soot to accumulate. The desired smoke is often called "blue smoke" (more gray to me) and if not viewed at the right angle, is hard to see at times. I see very little white smoke from a good smoker when set properly. I have a smoke tube and rarely use it. I certainly don't miss it and would not buy extras. Note that smoke tubes often produce much white smoke.
Let us know how your first cooks go!

Arron Franklin of world famous Franklin BBQ smokes everything at 275 and never under 250, some how he gets plenty of smoke in his meat. Also he says that smoke rings are overrated and really don't mean much in terms of flavor, but they look pretty in a competition......he is all about that flavor and consistency.
He uses a stick burner, and larger. 275 is fine with the large giant pits (offset smokers), but will dry out your long cooks on a pellet smoker. 225. If you are going to use 275 on briskets and butts, I would be sure and add a pan of water during the cook, or sprits them often during the cook.

Aaron Franklin smokes on a stick burner so it’s much easier for him to control the amount of smoke
I’d have to agree with him on the smoke ring…it does look good but no one eats just the smoke ring on a piece of meat
I gotta think if smoke rings were the be all end all of smoking…meat would be cut to less than an inch thick so you could have mostly smoke ring to munch on throughout

I would recommend something like a pork shoulder/butt. That was my first cook on my RecTeq. It's minimal prep, simple to cook, and instant (after 12 hours or so) gratification. You will be impressed.
Mine was even easier. An eye of round roast for sammiches and a few short ribs. Good shtuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back