Stampede Smoke flavor

It's the nature of all pellet grills that higher temp = less smoke. That's because smoke is a result of a less efficient combustion of the fuel. Lower temp means less efficient and so you get more smoke.

Burgers are a quick cook - minutes not hours - not much opportunity to get smoke on them if you don't run at Lol for a bit before cranking up the temp.
Thanks. Going to have to find a happy medium I guess.

Just had another thought. Lumber Jack sells a pellet called Char Hickory with charcoal in it. Some folks have said they get more of that charcoal flavor using them. I don't have first-hand experience but might be something to try.

Nice!.
Only thing I suggest @Dan99 is when you light it, LIGHT IT !..meaning when you feel it's burning good, give it another go over and make sure it's super hot. Let it sit there and flame for a good ten minutes or more prior to puting it in the Smoker. This will save you from posting later about it going out or thinking the pellets are moist..etc etc...hahaha good luck with it.
You can mix small mount of woodchips in with the pellets too. Something to try.

Hi Will this start the 12" tube?
Thanks Dan
IMG_20200716_083458439[1].jpg
anks Dan

Hi Will this start the 12" tube?
I would expect that would take a long time to get it lit, and use a lot of its fuel in the process. I use a MAPP gas torch myself, which is probably overkill but I have one for other purposes. The blue BernzOmatic torches can be bought pretty cheap, here is one under $18 at Lowe’s. I expect one tank of gas could last the lifetime of lighting smoke tubes. Save the Bic lighter to light the torch.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Brass-Pencil-Flame-Torch-Kit/1000095816

What pellets are you using? I've used different types of Lumberjack pellets and holy moly my little RT-340 smokes a ton! I made a tri-tip yesterday and even though it only cooked for about 1hr 20min, it had a strong smoke flavor and even had a beautiful smoke ring on it! I haven't even thought about using a smoke tube because these pellets smoke a ton!

I use a propane torch to light my A-Maze-En tube (and tray). You really need to get them going and a candle lighter might struggle. A-Maze-En does sell an alcohol gel to use as a starter. I've also seen videos of people using a heat gun. For the time & money, a propane torch was my choice.

As for pellets, I just load it up with what's in the hopper. You could mix it up if you want, too.

Hi All Can I start the tube smoker with weber starter cube.
Thanks Dan
My wife is not too crazy about having propane around the house. :cry:

Hi All Can I start the tube smoker with weber starter cube.
Thanks Dan
My wife is not too crazy about having propane around the house. :cry:
A small butane torch uses the same fuel as the lighter you posted. Propane fuel and torches used and stored properly are very safe, more so than gasoline to power your lawn mower.

What is the best way to grill hamburgers so they have a smoke flavor without having to use a smoke tube? I don't want to have to low heat for smoke flavor for couple of hours then turn up the heat.
[/QUOTE
The only thing I can think here is cold smoking your burgers. I have a food truck business and I have cold smoke burgers on my menu. I grilled some burgers on my BFG when I first got it and you won't get much smoke flavor, unfortunately...

I have had my stampede a few months now and so far I love it when grilling. My only issue thus far is I don't have much wood flavor when smoking meat. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My thought is maybe the feed rate would make a difference. Please help!
I came across the same thing on my first couple cooks. I bought a smoke tube from amazon, I used 50/50 pellet/wood chips cherry flavor. I set my BFG at 225 to start at 4% feed (I use a 3/1 ratio of Lumber Jack 100% hardwood Pecan and Treager 100% hardwood cherry)
I start my cooks at low temperature usually because it's really hard to bring temperature back down, at least from my experiences.

From my experience i can tell you smoke tub will help to gain more smoke flavor.
Hope this helps!

Carlos

Adjusting the minimum feed rate isn't going give you more smoke flavor, it's a adjustment to help maintain the temperature on low temperature cooks and to keep the fire burning. Get a smoke tube or you can place wood chips or pellets on top of the heat deflector sheld.
I started using a smoke tube with a combination of pellet/wood chips. I went on for about 3 hrs!

A small butane torch uses the same fuel as the lighter you posted. Propane fuel and torches used and stored properly are very safe, more so than gasoline to power your lawn mower.

Hi My wife for some reason has thing about storing propane,as oppose to gasoline.
What about a Weber cube to start the tube?
Best place for the smoke tube in a 590?
Thanks Dan
PS I don't own a lawn mower.

Luckily you, regrettably I pretty much have every piece of power equipment know to man to maintain the property I have?.
My lawn tractor has a cup holder so I'm happy.?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back