Smoke Box Help

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey, I have the Bull and love it. I'm usually the guy who buys all the accessories to whatever I get and then only end up using a few of them or some them, not at all. Any thoughts on the smoke box? Good addition? Useful? Something to add to my unused accessory vault? Thanks-

I use mine quite a bit. But....I think a serious mod is needed for "cold" smoking. The temperature of the lower rack in the box runs about 50F cooler than the pit @180F. But the mid and upper racks run near pit temps. So, for using it for cooking meats, it needs a bit of air flow work. For cold smoking, it needs to have a piece of insulation or separation between the pit and the box and have the incoming smoke from the pit to be cooled. I'm still contemplating a mod.

...which reminded me that the wife wanted me to do some more smoked cheddar, even though we still have a couple of pieces in the fridge. So, I just put another Costco sized block (cut) of Tillamook on with the ribs. I'll have to add some ice in a tray as well, to keep the cheese from melting.

Attachments

• 20200411_073618.jpg
    20200411_073618.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Mine runs nice and cool!!
I see RT stopped offering the smoke stacks as a separate part item.
hmmm.....

I did a mod to move the box away from the grill for cooler temps.
The only issue is as others have mentioned is a lot of condensation. Doesn't effect the food
at all just a little messy. Easy to just wipe the interior down when finished cooking.
thumbnail_0825191351a_resized.jpg

The only issue is as others have mentioned is a lot of condensation. Doesn't effect the food
at all just a little messy. Easy to just wipe the interior down when finished cooking.View attachment 2858
You always have the smokebox attached or do you attach the connector when you use it?

Just when I use it. If I am not using the smoker box I move the tube to the support at the top
to direct smoke out and away from my porch.
The dryer vent is 4" and the stacks are 3" so it is just a loose fit.

Just when I use it. If I am not using the smoker box I move the tube to the support at the top
to direct smoke out and away from my porch.
The dryer vent is 4" and the stacks are 3" so it is just a loose fit.
Thanks, I like the set up. Why do i need their cold smoke box. Why can't i run vent hose through something like a cooler with freezer pacs on the bottom where the drain plug is? Or something similar?

You absolutely can do that. A cardboard box could work. With the hose extended out you do
not need freezer packs or trays of ice.
Get creative! Got an old pinto laying around? : )

You absolutely can do that. A cardboard box could work. With the hose extended out you do
Pinto- I’m afraid of the explosion on impact option.

I had two Pintos back in the day. One was turbocharged, running 30 psi, O-ringed head, gears tires etc. ran low 13s at 105 mph. What a sleeper.

at all just a little messy. Easy to just wipe the interior down when finished cooking.View attachment 2858

You might try a downward loop after the upward loop. Put a small hole in the bottom of the downward loop for drainage. You've built a distilling machine, with the distilled vapor at your box inlet.

Cut plug? Tobacco or lure?

You might try a downward loop after the upward loop. Put a small hole in the bottom of the downward loop for drainage. You've built a distilling machine, with the distilled vapor at your box inlet.
I wonder if I could soak some taters in a yeast slurry for a few days and then smoke em and
collect the condensation?
Thanks R! I will have to look at that.

Puget Sound area. Fish On and Horns Out!
I knew it was one or the other. I’m a fly fisherman for many years. Caught and smoked these on April 1st. NY first day of trout season

Attachments

• 0FA91C28-84C5-4AF4-802D-107606E94FD3.jpeg
    0FA91C28-84C5-4AF4-802D-107606E94FD3.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 82

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back