Simple Greek Spatchcock Chicken

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Nothing fancy last night. Brined a spatchcock chicken for 8 hours in a honey brine I made. Brine was simple 4 cups of water, salt, a little brown sugar, honey, 10 peppercorns, four bayleaf and a dash of Oakridge Smoke chili and lime rub. I did use about a cup of ice to begin the cool down process. Brine went in fridge to complete the cooldown. Chicken into a 2 gallon plastic bag, cool brine poured over. Took bird out after about 8 hours, and rinsed the bird under cold water while the pit was heating up. Patted bird dry with paper towel and rubbed with RT Greek Rub. On the pit at 220 with extreme heat mode for 90 minutes. Cranked pit up to 400 (leaving the bird on while it continued to heat up), for about another 45-50 minutes. Pulled when probe in thigh was 167 and breast was 169. I have not made one in a while, great flavor, very moist and an overall good simple cook.

Attachments

• Greek Spatchcock Chicken.jpg
    Greek Spatchcock Chicken.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 118
  • Greek Spatchcock Chicken on pit.jpg
    Greek Spatchcock Chicken on pit.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Greek Spatchcock Chicken on resting.jpg
    Greek Spatchcock Chicken on resting.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 120
Looks great! I'm a big fan of all of Oakridge's products. The Smokey Chile Lime is my go-to for wings.

Nothing fancy last night. Brined a spatchcock chicken for 8 hours in a honey brine I made. Brine was simple 4 cups of water, salt, a little brown sugar, honey, 10 peppercorns, four bayleaf and a dash of Oakridge Smoke chili and lime rub. I did use about a cup of ice to begin the cool down process. Brine went in fridge to complete the cooldown. Chicken into a 2 gallon plastic bag, cool brine poured over. Took bird out after about 8 hours, and rinsed the bird under cold water while the pit was heating up. Patted bird dry with paper towel and rubbed with RT Greek Rub. On the pit at 220 with extreme heat mode for 90 minutes. Cranked pit up to 400 (leaving the bird on while it continued to heat up), for about another 45-50 minutes. Pulled when probe in thigh was 167 and breast was 169. I have not made one in a while, great flavor, very moist and an overall good simple cook.
“On the pit at 220 with extreme heat mode for 90 minutes.” Whats “extreme heat mode”? I have an RT-700. That’s a foreign term to me.

It's either a new mode unlocked with the new firmware update..... or maybe "Lo" aka extreme smoke mode.

Looks great! I'm a big fan of all of Oakridge's products. The Smokey Chile Lime is my go-to for wings.
Just remember they are now out of business. I ordered a whole bunch of stuff at the end of last year before they closed up for good.

Sorry all. I have an older version of the 700, I have the 680 which has an extreme smoke mode on the pad. I would say it is equivalent to Lo on the newer versions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back