SHOCKED!!

bags77

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
  2. Matador
SO i unplugged my BFG to clean it, i pulled the racks out and the drip pans, i proceeded to vacuum the pellet soot out and every time i touched the grill i got shocked, not a little like holy shit that hurt shocked, the vacuum hose is plastic. was it making that much static electricity?

SO i unplugged my BFG to clean it, i pulled the racks out and the drip pans, i proceeded to vacuum the pellet soot out and every time i touched the grill i got shocked, not a little like holy shit that hurt shocked, the vacuum hose is plastic. was it making that much static electricity?
Happens most every time when I vacuum out my pellet stove in the winter months.

I have the same issue with my shop vac that I use to vacuum up saw dust, it creates a lot of static electricity in the hose. The one i use in the bull seems to be grounded better

Were you holding the vacuum when you touched the grill? The charge is more than likely being held by the vacuum and you are grounding it to the grill when you touched it. What happens if you set the vacuum down before touching the grill?

Were you holding the vacuum when you touched the grill? The charge is more than likely being held by the vacuum and you are grounding it to the grill when you touched it. What happens if you set the vacuum down before touching the grill?
yes holding vacuum and touching grill, when i put the vacuum down and touched the grill it was a quick zap then nothing

Put the vac down and keep one hand on the grill while vacuuming. This will keep the charge from building to the point of hurting you.

I've only had my RT-700 for a couple months but never experienced this. I've always used a cordless vac, not sure if that makes a difference. I also just dedicated an old 18v dust buster type for this one job and I'm happy so far, no hose to build up static either.

Last time I used mine I got the hell zapped out of me attempting to open the hopper during a cook. I got a small zap touching the tongs on the inside while flipping the chicken.

You could attach a strip of wire to the grill, that hangs down and touches the ground.
Should be no more ZAP.

Yep Mastertech is accurate. My dad and uncle owned a small business that made the Staticmaster. Any old timers who used record albums or did darkroom photography might remember it. I learned all about this growing up.
I guess I’m an “Old-Timer” because I remember using a Staticmaster in my darkroom work. Great product too!

I thought that was the optional “self protection mode” to keep amateurs and thieves away from our grills. (Sorry, one of my degrees is in Electrical Engineering, I couldn’t help myself.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back