Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
Appears the RT-B380 reputation is gaining speed. You know the "good news travels fast but bad news travels faster" thing.

My buyer backed out this morning stating "quality control" issues with the Bullseye, I don't blame him for doing his homework. As others have mentioned the Bullseye compliments the Bull nicely so maybe things worked out for the better.

So, now that the Bullseye and I are in a long term relationship I'd like to fix this thing. Replacing the controller on a new grill isn't happening, especially since it still under warranty. Yes, I have contacted RT as mentioned elsewhere.

The low temp "plumes" of smoke seems like it is adding a stale smoke taste to the food. I've also noticed grease fires when grilling steaks and the grease collects on the heat diffuser and it ignites.

What am I doing wrong?

What type of steaks are you cooking that have that much fat? I can honestly say I don’t recall ever getting a fire with a steak except way back when I thought it would be a good idea to put a liberal coat of olive oil (mistake) or bourbon (big mistake) on my steak before putting it on a hot grate.

Also, what temp are you cooking on? I’ve almost completely backed off of using riot mode as it’s too hot. I’ve measured temps of over 940* on grill grates with riot mode, and I find that hot of a sear distasteful-too bitter. I pretty much go with a max of 500* unless I want to burn stuff off the deflector.

I only get the low temp plumes of smoke during startup, but also my minimum practical cook temp is 225*.

What type of steaks are you cooking that have that much fat? I can honestly say I don’t recall ever getting a fire with a steak except way back when I thought it would be a good idea to put a liberal coat of olive oil (mistake) or bourbon (big mistake) on my steak before putting it on a hot grate.

Also, what temp are you cooking on? I’ve almost completely backed off of using riot mode as it’s too hot. I’ve measured temps of over 940* on grill grates with riot mode, and I find that hot of a sear distasteful-too bitter. I pretty much go with a max of 500* unless I want to burn stuff off the deflector.

I only get the low temp plumes of smoke during startup, but also my minimum practical cook temp is 225*.
Greg,

Thanks for helping me.

I was cooking bone in NY strip steaks in the RIOT mode. So that explains my first problem. BTW, I never heard of bone-in NY before either but they were cheap.

The smoke plumes are exactly as you described at start-up. However, the plumes continue at 225 degrees and is massive. Sometimes I have seen the grill relighting (determined by decimal points flashing) which explains what I'm seeing. RT is blowing it off as a pellet issue but I'm not convinced yet.

The smoke plumes are exactly as you described at start-up. However, the plumes continue at 225 degrees and is massive. Sometimes I have seen the grill relighting (determined by decimal points flashing) which explains what I'm seeing. RT is blowing it off as a pellet issue but I'm not convinced yet.
The smoke plumes sounds like it may be an airflow issue. Check your vents in the lid to make sure they are clean, install the lid spacer if not there already, if It is installed try gapping the lid even more with a piece of foil, and if none of that helps, try one bag of a different pellet just to see…

The smoke plumes sounds like it may be an airflow issue. Check your vents in the lid to make sure they are clean, install the lid spacer if not there already, if It is installed try gapping the lid even more with a piece of foil, and if none of that helps, try one bag of a different pellet just to see…
Yes, spacer is installed and vents cleared/clean.

I still wonder if there is a firmware issue but more than happy to try some other pellets.

Greg, I owe you a beer, thanks (y)

One other thought, but first a question-have you ever tried starting the grill with the lid open, then closing it 5-10 minutes later? Or starting it to 300* or so and then dropping it back down to 225*? At this point I’m just throwing things out there at this point, but it only takes a few minutes to try each one of these things.

One other thought, but first a question-have you ever tried starting the grill with the lid open, then closing it 5-10 minutes later? Or starting it to 300* or so and then dropping it back down to 225*? At this point I’m just throwing things out there at this point, but it only takes a few minutes to try each one of these things.
I have, I thought perhaps the PID loop was winding up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back