Rub question

Plumberguy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Starting to make some of my own rubs. Pork/chicken rubs that call for brown sugar.....I know I'm not the first one to note the moisture in the bs clumps up the rub mixture. Do people dry it out either in the microwave or oven first? Substitue turbinado sugar? I know granulated bs exists, hard to find in stores here in New England, maybe I'll order some....

If you have a food saver get the mason lid jar attachment and suck the air out. I have had really good luck storing brown sugar based rubs this way. No clumps. Just might have to give it a little shake to loosen it up. But otherwise stores great this way.

If you have a food saver get the mason lid jar attachment and suck the air out. I have had really good luck storing brown sugar based rubs this way. No clumps. Just might have to give it a little shake to loosen it up. But otherwise stores great this way.
☝️ This, for sure. And you’ll find that you’ll use that attachment on a bunch of other stuff, too. I don’t think the oven would work out well with the moisture content of the brown sugar, but honestly, I haven’t tried it. A dehydrator with very low heat might work if you don’t have a Foodsaver.

I dried it in the oven once. It worked, but was more hassle then I cared for so I just live with it and take a spoon to it before use to mash up the clump.

Last edited:
☝️ This, for sure. And you’ll find that you’ll use that attachment on a bunch of other stuff, too. I don’t think the oven would work out well with the moisture content of the brown sugar, but honestly, I haven’t tried it. A dehydrator with very low heat might work if you don’t have a Foodsaver.
True. We put vegetables and all sorts of things that tend to go bad quickly in mason jars and seal with the food saver. One of my favorites is fresh cilantro. Once I forgot about a jar that had cilantro in it. It was at least 3 weeks old. When I opened it it looked and smelled like it just came from the grocery store!

Starting to make some of my own rubs. Pork/chicken rubs that call for brown sugar.....I know I'm not the first one to note the moisture in the bs clumps up the rub mixture. Do people dry it out either in the microwave or oven first? Substitue turbinado sugar? I know granulated bs exists, hard to find in stores here in New England, maybe I'll order some....
I use these packets in my homemade rubs. Never have any clumping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028AG8RO/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glt_fabc_FS4HXX9GT3AFREXMYYXS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewDualfire1200
Back