Bull RT-700 Sidekick mod....with Camp Chef Mod.

SmokeyMatt

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've owned an RT-700 for a few years and have decided that searing on this beast is not really that practical. My solution is to add a CampChef Side Kick ( https://www.campchef.com/sidekick-sear.html) to the right side of the Beast. It needs to sit out a bit to clear the smoke stack but be close enough that it doesn't become too much of a Frankenstien. I like what this guy did with threaded rod.

My question to the group is this: Is there enough interest in this mod to make it worth my while to design and have it fabbed? I'd love to make a bunch when I get it figured out right.....let me know what you think! Thanks.

1626565737719.png

I've owned an RT-700 for a few years and have decided that searing on this beast is not really that practical. My solution is to add a CampChef Side Kick ( https://www.campchef.com/sidekick-sear.html) to the right side of the Beast. It needs to sit out a bit to clear the smoke stack but be close enough that it doesn't become too much of a Frankenstien. I like what this guy did with threaded rod.

My question to the group is this: Is there enough interest in this mod to make it worth my while to design and have it fabbed? I'd love to make a bunch when I get it figured out right.....let me know what you think! Thanks.

View attachment 11620
That’s exactly what I have been wanting to do!! I just don’t have the skills to fab it! Lol let me know if anyone figures this out!

View attachment 11620
I also have the 700 and would just reverse sear on my 380 ( having the 380 is awesome) which is super fast or my Weber Summit sear station. I have the smoke box on my 700 so adding a sear burner onto that would just be to long

Simpler and cheaper to have a gas grill in addition to your pellet grill. I have my Bull on one side of my cook area then a Weber gas grill opposite it. You really need a grill, gas or charcoal, in addition to a pellet cooker.

Simpler and cheaper to have a gas grill in addition to your pellet grill. I have my Bull on one side of my cook area then a Weber gas grill opposite it. You really need a grill, gas or charcoal, in addition to a pellet cooker.
Agree, but I don't have the room so I need to make a Frankenshmokergrill. Details to follow

Attachments

• 65696171510__DC0921A1-0500-4556-9853-3ECDC09426CF.fullsizerender.jpg
    65696171510__DC0921A1-0500-4556-9853-3ECDC09426CF.fullsizerender.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 167
  • 65687652624__68032437-B548-4644-8C6B-39D5366BFF5E.jpeg
    65687652624__68032437-B548-4644-8C6B-39D5366BFF5E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6642.jpeg
    IMG_6642.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 181
Agreed. I use my Napolean gas grill for grilling, 700 for smoking!

I’ve actually been looking into this for awhile. I’ve got the 700 and comp cart and I’ve had the sear box for 6 months just sitting in the garage waiting for me to contact a local metal fab shop. I wanted to see if they could create a triangle type brace you’d see on a bookshelf using the existing mounting holes from the handle and the comp cart. I figured that type of brace could support the weight of the sear box

I’ve actually been looking into this for awhile. I’ve got the 700 and comp cart and I’ve had the sear box for 6 months just sitting in the garage waiting for me to contact a local metal fab shop. I wanted to see if they could create a triangle type brace you’d see on a bookshelf using the existing mounting holes from the handle and the comp cart. I figured that type of brace could support the weight of the sear box
I had the same dilemma. Then I realized the 'chimney' was more for show than being required for draft. The fan does the work and pushes out of the hole there anyway. I just mounted my sear box right to the side. Used one of the handle mounting holes and made a cardboard template for the other 3 holes. Works like a champ!

Attachments

• 125EEBB1-9F82-4773-8B9E-1A254A6A81E1_1_105_c.jpeg
    125EEBB1-9F82-4773-8B9E-1A254A6A81E1_1_105_c.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 188F351E-E007-41B5-830F-45056C6BFA47_1_105_c.jpeg
    188F351E-E007-41B5-830F-45056C6BFA47_1_105_c.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 2CD87D5E-A6C6-451D-890E-68CA95CDCE89_1_105_c.jpeg
    2CD87D5E-A6C6-451D-890E-68CA95CDCE89_1_105_c.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 185
I had the same dilemma. Then I realized the 'chimney' was more for show than being required for draft. The fan does the work and pushes out of the hole there anyway. I just mounted my sear box right to the side. Used one of the handle mounting holes and made a cardboard template for the other 3 holes. Works like a champ!
very nice! yeah i wasn't sure if the chimney was required or not, i don't know enough to determine if there is a huge benefit to the draft. other things I saw other people do was install a flat piece of metal on the inside where you did the 3 holes to help support the barrel wall. I also saw people cover the interior screws with high heat epoxy. Not really sure if it's needed

the flat bar and the epoxy isn't really needed. I'm on 3 months with this setup and it's still flawless.

nice! looks like i know what my new years project is going to be. Its been a few months, any updates or changes to the build?
Nah, I don't think so?? I took too long worrying about the chimney until it dawned on me that it really wasn't needed for draft. I may add the felt seal stuff around the lid this summer but I love this setup. Even my beast of a Weber gasser could never get to the temp that the CampChef thing does. 900 degrees in 10 minutes at any ambient temp.

Hey SmokeyMatt, where did you find your chimney cover grill grate? I haven't been able to find a proper replacement yet

Hey SmokeyMatt, where did you find your chimney cover grill grate? I haven't been able to find a proper replacement yet
I had some trial and error but settled in this from Amazon. Not a perfect fit so I used a Dremel tool to open up the hole on the Bull to fit. Then used the screw holes and a bit if high temp RTV on the inside. JKOVRME 4Inch Louvered Grille Cover Vent Hood Wall Air Vents - 304 Stainless Steel Round Soffit Vents Ventilation Air Outlet (4Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRK559G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J6VVY3YCZBSH79J6VWH3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!

I had some trial and error but settled in this from Amazon. Not a perfect fit so I used a Dremel tool to open up the hole on the Bull to fit. Then used the screw holes and a bit if high temp RTV on the inside. JKOVRME 4Inch Louvered Grille Cover Vent Hood Wall Air Vents - 304 Stainless Steel Round Soffit Vents Ventilation Air Outlet (4Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRK559G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J6VVY3YCZBSH79J6VWH3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!
Without the chimney, are you getting any smoke/grease residue above that vent?

After 9 months this is what I have. I'm not someone who cleans often obviously, but you could wipe it down after a cook. Also, some of that is from the gas grill flaring up. I'm still happy with the build though!

Attachments

• IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7473.jpeg
    IMG_7473.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
After 9 months this is what I have. I'm not someone who cleans often obviously, but you could wipe it down after a cook. Also, some of that is from the gas grill flaring up. I'm still happy with the build though!
Thanks Matt. I wondered if that would be the case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back