Stampede RT-590 Ash on Food

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Cooked chicken thighs on my RT-590. I noticed ash settling on the food. Cleaned the ash out of the barrel and anything interior, but there really was not that much. Wondering if this is normal - as for me, I do not fancy ash on my food. Did a search in the forum threads but the word 'ash' was deemed too common so I am just wondering if this is really no big deal or not.

What Jim said. Not saying you don't clean it, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. I have a 590 and never experienced and Ash problem

I’ve noticed ash on a high heat pizza cook, not a lot, but some. That’s really the only time it was noticeabl. Don’t know if that’s cause most things I cook are dark and I’d not see it, if it was just cause of high heat, or some other unknown cause. It’s not like I’d see it on brisket, a butt, or ribs. So once out of 3 years worth of cooks, that I noticed.

I get a little ash from my charcoal kettle every time I open the lid, kind of the nature of the beast. No such issue from the gasser.

I’d suggest a few more cooks and see what happens.

It's good for you, don't worry about it. The only time it would concern me is if I'm serving to guests, and only then because of the way it looks. Spritz it or sauce it if serving to guests, otherwise don't worry about it. I think I noticed it twice really. Once for pizza as @paladin00 said, and the other time when the grill is too clean on the inside - the ash has nothing to stick to. I don't mean keep it dirty, keep it seasoned - there's a difference.

All good points above. I have experienced ash on my food when I was experimenting with Knotty Wood Almond pellets. It wasn't horrible, but I did notice that the amount of ash produced was at least double of that from other pellets I've tried.

@Pacman makes a good point about the pellets; some brands do create more ash than others.

@Debbydebbydebby it would help to know the time and temperature of your cook, along with the brand/type of pellets you were using.

I've never had a problem with ash settling on the food. How often do you clean out the fire pot and bottom of the barrel under the drip pan? I clean mine every 2-3 cooks; sooner if I've had a really long cook.
It had probably been about 9 cooks.. the recteq website said once per year. I clean the grill grates after each cook and change the foil on the drip pan each cook. Thanks for the heads up- I will attend to cleanup in the barrel and the fire pot more frequently.

Lots of factors can affect the amount of ash produced, including the brand of pellets used and the type of wood. Pellets made from wood with the bark are supposed to produce more flavor, but may also produce more ash.
I use the recteq pellets. I like the quantity you get per bag.

I use the recteq pellets. I was cooking chicken thighs @ 450 for 25-30 minutes.
My experience with RecTeq pellets has been that they have not created an ash problem, so I don’t think that was the issue.

I’m guessing that the combination of not cleaning recently and the high temperature of the cook combined to create your ash issue. In order to maintain a 450F temperature, the fan has to run almost constantly so if there is any significant accumulation of ash in the fire pot and/or bottom of the cooking chamber, the air flow will stir it up. Cleaning out the ash after every 2-3 cooks will likely resolve the issue.

Keep on cooking!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back